« Trifling with the Little Things - Drawing Connections Between Literary Texts | Main | Setting and *The Eye of the Beholder* »

February 22, 2007

Creative Writing Assignment - A New Point-of-View for Old, Familiar Tales

Image Source: http://creative-writing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/i/h_main.jpg

Students,

Please look below to find your homework assignment from Wednesday re-printed . . .

Homework:

Short creative writing assignment on the literature we've been reading:

1-2 paragraphs (here) on the English-Blog.

In the comment box below, answer question #1 from the Roberts textbook on point-of-view (page 92).

Choose only one of the options (a through d) to write about.

Before you “dive-in” to your little narratives, explain to the reader what you are doing, i.e. what story and author you are using, what perspective was originally used and what perspective your re-interpretation will use.

NOTE: I have changed options (b) and (e) to the following:

(b) Scoresby from Twain’s “Luck”: How hard I’ve worked for all that I have!
(e) Kehaar from Adams’s Watership Down: These silly rabbits!

See you in class Friday. Remember: Leonard Hall, room 118.

NOTE: MY COMMENTS TO YOUR RESPONSES ARE BENEATH THE DOTTED LINES IN *BOLDFACE*

Posted by lhobbs at February 22, 2007 10:19 AM

I have chosen to do a narrative on Kehar from Watership Down. I have picked the scene from the novel when the rabbits found Kehar injured.

While I was in the woods one day I came across a cat. I tried escaping the nasty creature but the cat got a hold of my wing. I ended up escaping from the black furry monster, but I was to badly injured to find help. So I found a log and I rested there until two rabbits named Bigwig and Silver came by. I was quite surprised how helpful they were to me. However, there had to be some kind of catch behind this act of kindness. Why would two rabbits be helping me of all animals? So I had nothing to do with them and I sent them on their way.

Later in the afternoon a rabbit named Hazel stopped by and convinced me to go back with him. He said he and the other rabbits would build me a hole so I can rest in. We soon got to know each other a little more and the rabbits told me how they lived. I was quite surprised on the kind of lifestyle the rabbits live off of. However, they presented to me a problem in which they are in a need for does to produce more rabbits for their warren. So I came up with a plan and I told Hazel that as soon as my wing healed I would go look for does for them, since they saved my life. On my journey, I ran across a farm at the bottom of the hill with a large amount of does. A few days later I returned to the rabbits and Hazel set a plan to capture the does.

Sincerly,
April H.

--------------------------------

Very creative April, thanks for the initiative on this one!

Posted by: April Hunsberger at February 22, 2007 01:40 PM

I chose to write my narrative on “The Necklace”, by Guy de Maupassant. I will write from the first person of Mathilde Loisel, who is telling her story of her ten years of torture to her first daughter. The original story was written in the third person from the omniscient, or knowing all, perspective.
“ I have done a very foolish thing earlier in my life that I wish upon no one. For to lie and be discrete can only bring problems to an individual. When I was younger your father and I were invited to an education ball in which I was very adamant about attending. My only problem was I had nothing I felt appropriate to wear. Instead of taking your fathers advice in choosing to wear my own things, I was foolish and borrowed a diamond necklace of a friend. With the ball almost over I felt my neck and my diamonds were gone. I searched relentlessly for them, but to no avail. So your father and I found a similar chain which we had to borrow more money for than we could have every imagined. Instead of telling my friend the truth, I chose to try and cover it up. Years down the road after the necklace was paid off in full, I ran into my friend and I told her the truth of the story. With her jaw dropping she explained to me that it was costume jewelry worth very little at all. So too you my young daughter I tell you it is better to be truthful than to spend years thinking you did the right thing when in reality you didn’t.”

Thomas Nolf

Awesome!

Posted by: Thomas Nolf at February 22, 2007 03:08 PM

Hey Professor Hobbs,

I was an SA today in class 2/21. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Tina Walter

Posted by: Tina W at February 22, 2007 03:41 PM

For the creative writing assignment, I am choosing to focus on choice A, which is Mathilde Loisel in “The Necklace” by Guy de Maupassant. For this particular story, the third-person point of view perspective was originally used, but I will be reinterpreting this story by using the first-person point of view perspective. For this story, the narrarator reports only what can be seen and heard. The speaker is outside the action and is mainly a reporter of actions and speeches in which the thoughts of characters, Mathilde Loisel in this case, are included only if they are spoken or written (WAL, 85).

Although the entire story along with the ending have the word “I” used in it, that does not necessarily make Maupassant’s “The Necklace” a story of first-person point of view. It is not first-person because Mathilde is not the one actually telling the story, it is a story being told about her and her thoughts and desires to one day become wealthy. The story would become first person if Mathilde would be the one to tell the story and what her thoughts were. For example, when Mathilde’s life becomes ruined for ten years by not telling the truth, it would have been considered first-person if she were the one to talk about the situation and what her thoughts about it were. If she would have been the one to start a conversation by saying “How I ruined ten years of my life by not telling the truth” then it could be excluded from the third-person point of view perspective.

Sincerely,
Lyndsay Krall

--------------------------------

Lyndsay, see my comments to the other students below who missed the mark on this assignment. I think you may have misinterpreted what I was looking for. Read the instructions again, see how your fellow students have approached the assignment and please try again!

CORRECTED VERSION:

Ten years ago I made a mistake that completely changed my life. Thoughts of wealth and having the finer things in life filled my head. When my husband had one day presented me with an invitation to a grand event at the ministry of Education, I felt that my dreams of once becoming rich and desired were finally coming true. And at that moment, reality set in. I then realized that there was absolutely no way I would be attending such an event with nothing to wear. But being the gentleman that my husband is, he gave me his savings and told me to go out and buy a nice dress. After buying my new gown, it was then that I realized I had no fine jewelry to go along with it. After threatening not to attend the event, my husband then suggested I should go to an old friend of mine, Mrs. Forestier , and ask to borrow a piece of jewelry. I decided that was a good idea and went to pay her a visit the very next day. I explained to Mrs. Forestier about the party and the predicament I was in, so she was more than willing to loan me whatever piece of jewelry my heart desired. While looking, it was then that I came across a stunning diamond necklace that was absolutely breath taking. This was just what made my gown feel complete! The night was going wonderfully, that is until I realized that I had lost Mrs. Forestier’s beautiful diamond necklace. My husband and I frantically searched everywhere for the necklace, but it was nowhere to be found. The only thing that we could do was replace the necklace with a brand new one for my friend. My husband and I spent ten long years of our lives trying to pay off the debt that we were in due to buying this necklace. Years later, after running into Mrs. Forestier, I had found out life changing information. It was then that I was told that the necklace that I was lent was not even made of real diamonds. This means that for the last ten years of my life I was working hard to pay off a debt that would have not of even existed if I would have just told the truth.

Sincerely,
Lyndsay Krall

--------------------------------

Now you've hit the target. Thanks!

Posted by: Lyndsay Krall at February 22, 2007 04:20 PM

In Mark Twain’s “Luck” is told from the fist person point of view, both when Mr. Twain is the narrator and also when the Reverend is narrating. My reinterpretation is told in first person from the point of view of Arthur Scoresby.

I remember growing up my mother repeatedly told me: you can do whatever it is you want; she would say: “…become a doctor and cure tuberculosis.”, “…become a writer of great literature.”, “…study business and win your fortune.”, or “…maybe learn the system of laws and try cases.” They all seemed like fitting professions; however, my calling lay in service to Her Majesty, particularly in one of Her Army regiments. When father arranged for my preliminary examinations I was delighted and believed it as easy as answering a few questions regarding Caesar’s great triumphs… and it was! Like the preliminary examinations I aced each consecutive assessment without much trouble, a little extra studying with the assistance of an instructor and I was in like flint. (I have always been able to gather around me those who would seek to further my cause, the mark of a great leader.) At about the time of my graduation, with honors no less, a scrap in the Crimea broke out and I was awarded the leadership of a regiment!

As I took over in the role of captain, my instructor friend from Academy was awarded position as a cornet in the very same regiment; an assistant worthy of my prowess. In the face of battle I led my men with the same ferocity that Hannibal displayed against the Romans and with virtuosity similar to Chopin. All this was shown to have paid off when the old Colonel was snuffed; I was the next in line and so took control. My men would have followed me to the ends of the continent and beyond; during a particularly poor showing from the Turkish troops I was issued an order to fall back and support the right flank. I knew this to be absolute folly; the only way to win a battle such as this is to attack! And so I did, over the hills into a waiting division of Russian reserves where we took them unawares and reduced them to tatters.

So here I sit the recipient of myriad accolades and promotions, the storied hero of the Crimean War, the hard working and diligent son of Mr. and Mrs. Reginald Alan Scoresby, at a banquet in my honor. Had it not been for my mother’s encouragement and all the skills and knowledge I could muster I would have never made it to the place I now find myself. “The only way a man can get ahead is through hard work and diligent study.” my father used to say; and so to this day I find it very difficult to believe in the phenomenon of “luck”.

Best Regards,

Justin Bleggi

Very well done Justin!

Posted by: Justin Bleggi at February 22, 2007 05:16 PM

Dr. Lee Hobbs
February 22, 2007

Short Narrative on Scoresby

In my short narrative, I am going to be doing Scoresby from the short story “Luck,” written by Mark Twain. This story was originally written in first person point of view but not told my Scoresby. I am going to be re-interpreting the story and character Scoresby using first-point of view as well point of view.
I have worked for all that I have. I am not just a fool, which everybody believes me to be. I was sitting at this banquet that they held for me, and listen to the reverend speak about me in front of many people, and listen to the Reverend belittle me. Back when I attended Woolwich, I was believed to know nothing at all, so the people who worked there portrayed me to be a fool. Over the years I did many blunders but each one was more fantastic than the last. Over the years, these blunders just kept moving me higher and higher up in the rankings in the ARMY. As I stated before, I worked for everything I have, even though others view me as an absolute fool, and portray be to be nothing but a liar, and a fool. I was born lucky, and deserve what I have.

Works Cited
Roberts V. Edgar. Writing about Literature Brief 11th edition. 2006. Saddle River, New Jersey.

UNTIL NEXT CLASS
B.DECKER

Insightful!

Posted by: Brooke Decker at February 22, 2007 05:54 PM

I was a SA in class today.
Loring Gdula

Posted by: Lorin Gdula at February 22, 2007 06:32 PM

Lauren Wozniak
Instructor Lee Hobbs
ENGL 121
February 23, 2007

Mathilde Loisel in “The Necklace”

I am Mathilde Loisel and I have a wonderful husband, the only problem is that we do not have a lot of money. Throughout the years, I accepted the fact that we were not as wealthy as others, but fortunate enough to buy the bare necessities and have a place to live. About ten years ago, my husband got invited to a dinner at the Ministry of Education. This was a huge banquet where all the women dressed up in fancy gowns and men wore a suit and tie. Don’t get me wrong, I was thrilled to be invited to such a wonderful event, but the thought dressing up in a fancy gown turned me off. I did not have any gowns suitable for this occasion, so I complained to my husband and he volunteered to pay for a new dress. I know that my husband works hard for his money, but I really needed a new dress! I went out and found a marvelous dress, it was beautiful. It had lace, beads, and cost my husband four hundred francs. Once again I was disappointed. Yes, the dress was pretty, but it would have been beautiful if I had jewelry to accessorize it with. Since we did not have the money to buy jewelry I borrowed a beautiful necklace from my good friend Mrs. Forriestier.
So, the banquet was a blast and I looked great. I got home from an exciting night and realized I had lost the necklace! I was shocked and knew that we could never afford to replace it. Me and my husband went to the jewelers and worked out a deal so that we could buy the necklace and pay it off every month. So for the next ten years of my life, I worked. It was horrible, I never saw my husband because of his late night shifts, and I was constantly overworked. This went on for many years until we had enough money to pay off the necklace. Every month me and husband struggled to make payments, and had no money for new clothes or extra food. One day, I went for a walk and saw Mrs. Forriester, she told me that I looked bad and very tired. I didn’t want to tell her why I looked so overworked, but finally I had enough guts to explain to her that I have been overworked for the last ten years because of her necklace. She then told me that her necklace was fake, and was only worth a few francs. So for the last ten years I have worked a lot and slept very little for a necklace that was only worth a few francs. If I would have told her that I lost her necklace, instead of lying and replacing it for a more expensive one I would have lived a more comfortable life. So therefore, I ruined the last ten of my years because I lied.

Good!

Posted by: Lauren Wozniak at February 22, 2007 06:46 PM

The Red Death
I will retell Edgar Allan Poe’s The Masque of the Red Death in first person from the Red Death’s point of view. Poe originally tells this story in the third person point of view.
They thought they could keep me out. They were wrong. On the night of Prince Prospero’s masquerade ball I would sneak in and show them that they cannot keep me out. My mask would be the exact replica of what they will look like by the end of the night. I showed up without anyone even noticing me. I went in and out of each room watching them in gaiety on their last night of existence. I laugh every time they stop in eeriness as the clock chimes. The night is almost at its end, it is time.
One by one the guests start to notice me as I make my way into the room where the prince awaits unaware of death. I start to make my through the chambers and the prince follows in malice. He meets me in the last chamber, the chamber of black, dark, and blood. I can sense his fear and hesitation as he asks who I am. I tell him, “I am the red death here to set plague on everyone in this palace”, and as he runs toward me to pierce me with his knife he finds there is no solid body attached to this mask. Blood starts to seep through his skin and sores spread all over his body. Others come in to find the prince dead. They attack me in the same way only to find out the same thing and die the same way as their beloved prince. No one escapes me.

--------------------------------

Fascinating! I liked this one.

Posted by: Kristin Dudra at February 22, 2007 07:19 PM

Lee Hobbs,

I chose to write my first person response summary on Mathidle Loisel: How I ruined ten years of my life by not telling with truth.

If the truth would have been omitted from the moment the necklace was noted missing my life would have been completely different. I Mathidle Losile have ruined my life for the past ten years without telling the truth. All I truly wanted was the luxuries of wealth, something of which I lacked a great deal of. I was so focused on impressing others by pretending I came from I high social status. It did nothing more but hurt myself in the end. I borrowed of what I thought to be a diamond necklace to attend the dinner at the Ministry of Education. The evening started out wonderful, however ended horrible once I realized I lost the diamond necklace.
I was ashamed to confront the women of who I borrowed the necklace from. So instead my husband and I worked a total of ten years to be able to repair the debt back to her. If I would have just told the truth from the beginning I would have not slaved and worked horrendous hours of manual labor for the past ten year. Once I was able to repay back the debt of the missing necklace, I was shocked to realize that it was nothing but costume jewelry. I would have saved myself and time by just confronting her with the truth from the beginning. I have learned though that wealth is not everything and I should not have been so prone to posses it.

Posted by: Sheryll at February 22, 2007 08:07 PM

2.21.2007

I chose to do a short narrative from the first-person point of view of Mathile Loisel in “The Necklace” by Guy de Maupassant. This story was originally told with a third person point of view.

Ten years of struggle made me regret not telling the truth. I spent a lot of time feeling sorry for myself about being poor and not having anything the rich women had. I could have spent those years changing my life around, but I ended up spending them doing the dirtiest work one could imagine. Heavy housework, dirty kitchen jobs, taking out the garbage! I don’t even want to discuss what my husband had to do. I never thought my life could get any worse from where it began. Not only was I so angry with myself for lying to my friend, but I felt so guilty that my husband had to suffer as well.

After my husband and I repaid off our debts, we spent some time apart. I don’t blame him; I caused him a lot of distress. I have become much more appreciative of the little things now. I have learned to be more like my loving husband, and now we are happy again with what we have. We are still poor, that has not changed, but I have found that the only thing that really needed changing was my attitude.

Sincerely,
Jen N.
English 121.003 MWF 11:45-12:45

You got it!

Posted by: Jen Naugle at February 22, 2007 08:07 PM

Dear Professor Hobbs,

Here is my First person point of view from “The Necklace” written by Guy de Maupassant. This original story is written in third person, narrated by a non participant. The narrator in this diary entry is Mathilde Loisel who is married to a clerk. One night she borrowed a necklace from her friend Mrs. Forrestier in order to pull her whole outfit together for the night. On her way home from the dinner she attended, she lost the necklace, bought a brand new diamond necklace to replace it, and lied to her friend about the whole situation. This left Mr. and Mrs. Loisel in 10 years of poverty in order to pay back the loans on the necklace only to find that the one she lost was not of real diamonds. The recount in this diary is on Mrs. Loisels feelings when she finds out that the necklace was not real and that she wasted 10 years of her life.
Dear Diary,
So today I ran into a bit of irony at the Champs-Elysees while I was on my Sunday walk. I saw my dear old friend whom I’ve missed so much, Mrs. Forrestier. I was wondering if she would notice me, or even speak to me. Had she realized that the necklace I returned was not the same one that she lent me? So I approached her, and like I thought, she did not recognize me until I told her my name. She had the nerve of mentioning how much I have changed since last I saw her. Yes I know that I look worn out, but did she have to mention it? That’s when I decided to inform her of why I look the way I do, and wouldn’t you know, the damned necklace I borrowed was not of real diamonds!
I cannot believe I spent the past 10 years of my life in poverty all because I told a lie! All of the penny pinching, house work, and misery I’ve had to put up with! If only I wouldn’t have lied and told Mrs. Forrestier the truth! She would have understood, probably laughed at my concern and bought a new one for herself. Then I wouldn’t look as tired and broken down as I do. I will never tell a lie again. Oh, what will my husband say? He can never find this out, he would be so angry! Though, if he asks, surely one little fib won’t hurt, will it?

Sincerely,
Stephanie Vrabel
ENGL 121.003 Humanities Literature

--------------------------------

I did like that "dear diary" approach. It works!

Posted by: Stephanie Vrabel at February 22, 2007 08:14 PM

I will be doing a narrative on Mtahilde Loisel in "The Necklace".

My whole life I've wanted better things for myself. There's nothing wrong with that. I grew up poor and
never wanted to live the rest of my life that way. I wanted to marry a rich man and have him take care of me, but you can't help who you fall in love with.

One day I just got sick of being poor. So I would mope around the house and complain just so my husband knew exactly how I was feeling. Well, when we received the invitation to the ball in the mail, it really just made me feel worse. My husband tried to convince me to go but how could I go with nothing to wear?

When my husband decided to buy me a new dress and my friend lent me a lovely diamond necklace, I was very excited to go. After the party when I got home I couldn't find the necklace! I lost it!

Instead of telling my friend that I lost her beautiful piece of jewelry, I decided to buy her a new one and work until I payed it off. This was a bad mistake. I look back at the past ten years of my life and just see years and years of slavery. I never got a chance to have fun because of my greediness. If I could take it back I would. Just because my husband and I didn't have a lot of money doesn't mean we couldn't be happy. We had love and now I know, that's really all you need.

--------------------------------

Just what I was looking for!

Posted by: Erin Rock at February 22, 2007 08:29 PM

22 February 2007

Professor Hobbs-

It all started when my husband received the invitation to the Ministry dinner. Before this event, I was a very unsatisfied and unhappy woman. I, Mathilde Loisel, am the wife to a minor clerk in the Ministry of Education. I would have described myself as a simple woman who did not have the money to dress well and longed to have the opportunity to own lavish and luxurious items that I felt I was destined to have. Anyways, back to the invitation. One evening my husband came home looking very excited with an envelope in his hand. This is the item that destined us to our fate of 10 years of penny pinching and frugal living. When my husband opened the invitation, I became depressed instead of excited. I did not want to go to the event at all since I did not own anything appropriate to wear. My husband eventually volunteered to pay for a new dress for me to wear in hopes of catering to my wishes.
On the day of the party I realized I did not have any jewelry to wear with my new gown. At my husband’s suggestion, I borrowed a necklace from a rich friend of mine, Mrs. Forrestier. It was a beautiful, very expensive looking diamond necklace. At this point, I was very excited to attend the party. To make a long story short, I had a great time that night and felt like I truly fit in with the upper-class. My dreams of living the expensive lifestyle came true that night. Unfortunately when I got hoem that night I realized that I had lost the necklace! Me and my husband panicked and searched our paths to find it but it was nowhere to be found. With no other option we decided to replace the necklace and not mention to Mrs. Forrestier that it was lost in fears that she might accuse us of stealing it. Well, the necklace that we found to replace it cost us 36,000 francs which meat we had to make serious sacrifices. When we gave her the necklace we told her the clasp had broken and it had to be fixed and that was the reason for the delay in its return. Needless to say, I lived the next ten years living a very cheap lifestyle while my husband worked to repay our debts. One day though, while walking on the Champs-Elysees I ran into my old friend. She did not recognize me since I had aged and hardened from 10 years of laborious housework. When I explained to her the truth of the necklace she ironically told me that the necklace she had originally lent me was only a piece of costume jewelry! …and was only worth at most 500 francs. Because me and my husband had lied and tried to conceal my mistake, we had wasted 10 years for no reason at all!!

Bettina Herold
ENGL121.003 Humanities Lit. MWF 1145-1245

Fine job Bettina!

Posted by: Bettina Herold at February 22, 2007 08:36 PM

Greg Crossland
Eng 121
Prof. Lee Hobbs

I am Mathilde

I am writing a short narrative from the first person view of Mathilde Loisel. Mathilde is the main character in “The Necklace” by Guy de Maupassant, which is told in third person point of view by the narrator.
Hello. My name is Mathilde Loisel, and I am going to tell you the story of how I ruined ten years of my life by not telling the truth.
I have always had a fancy for the expensive things in life. That would have been fine if I could have afforded that lifestyle, but I couldn’t. I was not born into wealth and I didn’t marry into it either. My husband is a simple clerk, who could not calm my lust for the wealthy life with his respectable, yet unrewarding job. Don’t get me wrong though, he is a good man, despite the fact that he is content with the simple and inexpensive things in life.
My actual downfall came one day long ago, when my husband came home with an invitation to a dinner at the Ministry of Education. He was excited about it, but I was not. I had nothing to wear to the dinner, where there would be plenty of upper class ladies showing off their evening gowns and jewelry. My husband used up his vacation savings to buy me a dress that I liked. That was still not good enough. I needed fancy jewelry, none of which I owned. So, I burrowed an elegant piece from a wealthy acquaintance of mine. Every thing was going great at the dinner. I looked gorgeous and felt even better. The only problem is that by the end of the night, I had lost the necklace that I had out on loan. Instead of telling the truth to my acquaintance, I burrowed money from everywhere I could find it. After burrowing the money, I found an identical piece and bought it. I finally gave it back to her and she informed me the original was not real. So, my husband and I worked feverishly for the next decade to pay off the loans. If I had told the truth, I would have never ruined ten years of my life.

Very inventive!

Posted by: Greg Crossland at February 22, 2007 09:37 PM

Tatiana S. Mack
English121 003
Professor Hobbs
Due: February 23, 2007

I will be rewriting Mark Twain's “Luck” from the perspective of Scoseby. The original perspective was Twain. The passage that I am going to write is from the first person point of view, which is Scoresby.

Today, I am going to a banquet. Not just any banquet, a banquet in my honor. Yup! But, you see, my life has not always been as easy as it seems. I have worked very hard to reach my Lieutenant-General status. So, let me tell you how I made it this far:
Forty years ago, I was going to take my preliminary examinations. I figured everybody was taking them, so why don't I take them. I thought to myself, “If everyone is taking these exams, they must be easy”. After the exam was over, I overheard people talking about how hard the exam was. I thought it was pretty easy! All I had to do was fill in the little bubbles. How hard could that be? The next week, the Reverend came to me, and wanted to teach me a bit of history. I didn't know why he was doing this at the time, or why he even wanted me to take the exam again, but I did. That time, I actually read the test, and could you believe it, everything that the reverend told me was staring me right in my face! Then the next week, the reverend came to me again, and wanted to teach me a bit of math. And what do you know, everything the Reverend told me was on the exam again! Oh, how smart that Reverend is! The next day, we got our results from the exams, and I didn't know what it said, all I saw were numbers. But, everyone came up to me giving me compliments, I figured I must have done well on the exam.
So, because I did so well in the exam, I got to be in charge. How fun is that! Everybody started calling me caption. I thought, why are they calling me Caption, my name is Arthur? But, I just let these poor souls continue calling me Caption.
I saw the Reverend moping around, he looked like he hadn't slept in weeks. Poor fellow, all that knowledge must be making him tired.
When the Crimean War broke out, I was in charge of the Marching Regiment. The Reverend decided to come along with me, I thought that was nice of him. For some reason, he looked a little worried, but I had no fears. So, I turned to my men, and told them that we are going to attack the Russians, but whatever you do, don't get shot! So, we ran and charged at those silly Russians. They were not a match for us! After that war, we won many wars after that.
It was not easy, but someone had to do it. That is why I have all these shining things I have to wear. I don't know why I have to wear them. People just give them to me, and I keep them on. I kind of like them. Now I must go to my banquet. I heard that there will be lots of people, and food. I hope that the food is good!

--------------------------------

A model of eloquence! Students, this is a very commendable response.

Posted by: Tatiana S. Mack at February 22, 2007 09:57 PM

I have chosen to write about Keehar from Adam’s Watership Down. The perspective originally used in the story was a third person point of view; therefore I will make up a short narrative using Keehar with a first person point of view.
I was flying through the sky on my way to the sea, one day when I noticed a group of rabbits far from their home warren. Those silly rabbits I thought to myself. I decided to zoom in to get a closer look at exactly what they were doing. Little did they know, they were completely visible to the rest of the world. Rabbits often think they are invincible because they are hiding under a small patch of ferns. Those silly rabbits had no idea that and predator looking on from above could spot them in a second.
Jaime Hersh

Nice!

Posted by: Jaime Hersh at February 22, 2007 11:27 PM

Jenny Troutman
ENGL 121.003 Humanities Literature
Creative Assignment
2/23/07

I’ll be doing my creativeness on Mathilde Loisel in “The Necklace”: How I ruined ten years of my life by not telling the truth.

The perceptive of the story is this young lady named Mathilde was asked to go to the theatre with her husband. Mathilde is devastated because she has nothing good to wear for this occasion so she goes to her dear friend, Mrs. Forrestier. Mrs. Forrestier hears her story and she gives Mathilde a dress and some fancy jewelry to go along with. Throughout the theatre and dance, Mathilde loses Mrs. Forrestier’s necklace and Mathilde is devastated. She never told her friend so her and her husband gives everything they have and work hard to pay Mrs. Forrestier’s necklace back. 10 years go by and Mathilde and her husband go and get the exact necklace that she has lost and returned it to Mrs. Forrestier. After Mathilde explained everything to her, Mrs. Forrestier just chuckled. It turns out that the necklace that Mathilde and her husband slaved for return, the necklace that she borrowed was only costume jewelry.

My perceptive on Mathilde Loisel in “The Necklace,” is that Mathilde is asked to go a dinner theatre. Mathilde is devastated because she had no gowns or jewelry to wear so her husband suggests her to go to her friend, Mrs. Forrestier. Mathilde is ashamed to ask but she goes anyways and her friend, Mrs. Forrestier was really pleased to help Mathilde. So, Mrs. Forrestier gave her an elegant silk, white gown with lace trimmings and these beautiful diamond set to wear. Mathilde felt so guilty so she said no and she wasn’t going. Well, with the talk of her husband and Mrs. Forrestier, Mathilde changed her mind. When her and her husband had arrived, she was having a blast and having a wonderful time. Throughout the evening, they had dinner and wine to drink. As a young man was making a joke, Mathilde couldn’t stop laughing and she accidentally spilled red wine on this gorgeous dress of her friends. Mathilde was embarrassed and she didn’t know what to do so she grabbed her coat and got her husband and decided to leave. Mathilde then spend up all night to get the stain out and she did everything she could. So she decided to give it back to her friend and just never mention anything to her about it. Then one day, Mrs. Forrestier saw Mathilde in a store one day and asked her about the stain on the dress. Mathilde lied and said it was there when she received it from her. Mrs. Forrestier was confused so she went along with it. As years go on, Mathilde kept that secret bottled up all inside and she didn’t know what to do. Then one day when her and Mrs. Forrestier had tea together, finally Mathilde couldn’t keep it in no longer so she spilled out everything. Mrs. Forrestier was confused but then as much as Mathilde explained herself, she forgave her. When finally Mrs. Forrestier found out the truth, she forgave Mathilde and told her to tell her the truth and not lie and keep it in all inside.

--------------------------------

Jenny, like a few others in the class, I think you've misunderstood the instructions of the assignment. Have a look at the directions again and see how your classmates approached the assignment. Try again please!

Posted by: Jenny Troutman at February 22, 2007 11:58 PM

Dr. hobbs,
I am realizing that the key to a happy life is to be true to yourself and others. If I woould have simply to Mrs.Forrestier that I had lost her necklace, I would not have spent ten years of my life working hard to pay off my debt for something that was not that expensive in the first place. I come from a society where women are judge on their beauty and wealth so for one night I wanted to fit in.I should have repressed those foolish ways of my sociey instead I embraced and I endee up paying for it for ten years of my life.I learned that I should appreciate what I have. My one night of fun left me worn out and miserable.

--------------------------------

Okay, but please proofread your responses before posting, okay? Lots of spelling errors here!

Posted by: Melisa Parsons at February 23, 2007 12:02 AM

Shayne Schmidt

Instructor: Lee Hobbs

ENGL 121.003 Humanities Literature

23 February 2007

“The Masque of the Red Death”

The story I am choosing is the Red Death in “The Masque of the Red Death” written by Edgar Allan Poe. The point of view or perspective I think the sentence and story is written in is the second person. The reason for this is because I think in the sentence for question one part c it talks about him talking to himself with a question. The character is referring to himself but does not show it by using the first person. My interpretation is that he gears himself towards his feelings but not in a direct manner.

--------------------------------

Shayne, I think you missed the boat on this assignment. Re-read the instructions and try again please!

Posted by: Shayne Schmdit at February 23, 2007 12:55 AM

February 22, 2007
English 121

I am writing from the first person perspective of Faith from “Young Goodman Brown” after he’s had his nightmare that changed his life. This story was originally written from the perspective of Goodman Brown.
For days now my husband has not been the man he used to be. He is dark and gloomy all day, he glares at me when we pray and won’t sing when we go to church. It’s as if he’s scared of being struck down when we are at church. I try to ask him what’s wrong but he will tell me nothing, I feel as the devil himself has possessed my husband and turned him against the world. Though evil may have overtaken him, I made a vow to stay with him until the end, and I will keep that vow no matter what happens because I love him.

Jeff Hoover

--------------------------------

I did like this one! Thanks for giving "The Necklace" a rest!

Posted by: Jeff Hoover at February 23, 2007 02:07 AM

Creative Writing Response

I have chosen to write a first person point of view narrative with the character of Mathilde Liosel in the short story “The Necklace.” The story was originally told in the omniscient third person point of view, where the author was all-knowing and had no part in the story as a character. In this short response I will tell her side of the story on how she ruined the past ten years of her life by not telling the truth.
My name is Mathilde Liosel and I have just ruined the past ten years for my life by telling a lie. Not a little white lie, but a huge expensive lie. Ten years ago I lost a diamond necklace that belonged to my dear friend Mrs. Forrestier, so I bought her a new one with every penny I had leaving me broke. Later to find out ten years later that the necklace wasn’t even real! I can’t believe that I ruined my life over a fake necklace.
I mean I guess if only I had told the truth I wouldn’t be in this situation, but what if the necklace had been real and I told her the truth. Then my life still would have been ruined and probably more than it already is. That night was perfect and I had to go and ruin it by losing the necklace. Its amazing how one object can ruin your life, yet again I guess it was more likely my lie that ruined my life.

Katie Kovac
English 121 003

Outstanding!

Posted by: Katie Kovac at February 23, 2007 02:34 AM

Andy Hood
Instructor Lee Hobbs
ENGL 121.003 Humanities Literature
22 February 2007
Take the Good with the Bad
“The Necklace” is a story about a woman, Mathilde Loisel, struggling to find comfort and happiness in the path that she has taken. She didn’t have some of the advantages other young women had so she had to settle in her choice of life with a simple clergyman. An unfortunate situation strikes Mr. and Mrs. Loisel, which forces them lower than social status yet even more. A scared lie told by Mathilde haunts the Loisel’s over the next ten years, and at the end, Mathilde discovers that the lie was not even necessary. She did not need to cover up the lie in the first place, which caused bad fortune over the next ten years.
The narrator implies that Mathilde is crushed by this news and feels that the last ten years were a waste. Yes, the last ten years were an unfortunate time in a quantitative sense especially. However, I got the sense of a character transition during the story. Once the Loisel’s were forced to work day and night to pay back their debt, Mathilde immediately accepted the fact that she was not going to live a luxurious lifestyle. She was able to find the small windows of opportunity in life for comfort and happiness. Rather than taking it as a loss, Mathilde could take the opportunity to flourish in life with a new, positive attitude. My parents never let me slide as a kid. I knew so many of my friends who weren’t forced to do chores or get a job. It made me furious at the time, but I am thankful now because it seems like second nature to me. It is part of my lifestyle just as Mathilde was forced to take a step down and find happiness

--------------------------------

Okay, Andy, what you've done is a synopsis of the story and a reading response, which would be acceptable, if that is what the assignment called for. In this case, it didn't. Review the instructions again and then look at the methodology incorporated by your classmates. Have another try! (resubmit to me by email and I'll adjust your score)

CORRECTED VERSION:

Andy Hood
Instructor Lee Hobbs
ENGL 121.003 Humanities Literature
25 February 2007
Creative Writing

I chose to do a short narrative from a first person point of view on the character of Mathilde Loisel from “The Necklace”.

Growing up, I did not have some of the same advantages other girls had. Despite this fact, I always fantasized about marrying a rich and charming man who would help me live the most luxurious lifestyle. With the possibility of never finding this “dream man” approaching, I settled and married a clerk in the Ministry of Education. He was not the well-known, rich and distinguished man I had always fantasized about, but with this life, I will at least survive.

With all the thoughts of a luxurious life clouding my mind, I never dreamed of the unhappiness that would takeover when my dreams had not come true. I live a very simple life without the opportunities of other young woman. However, my husband, after observing my unhappiness, tells me of a dinner we were invited too where there be formal men and woman attending. Since my husband barely had enough to shell out for a simple dress to attend the dinner, I had to borrow jewelry from a friend. I looked like everything I had always imagined when I attended the dinner.

After returning from the dinner, I noticed that I had lost the necklace that I had borrowed. I hadn’t the courage to tell her that I lost it, so my husband and I tapped every resource in order to replace the lost necklace. It took my husband and me ten miserable years to pay back all the money we borrowed. When I saw my friend and finally told her that I had lost her beautiful necklace, she told me it was costume jewelry only worth about five hundred dollars. If I had just told her the truth, all that money we were able to come up with over the last ten years could have been put toward many other things. It is amazing how much ruin that one lie can cause.

--------------------------------

That's more like it! Thank you!

Posted by: Andy Hood at February 23, 2007 06:34 AM

This narrative is spoken in the first person of mathidle Loisel, from the story "The Necklace"

There was a time in my life where I thought that money could make me happy. In fact I was so unhappy that I felt poor in even the prettiest of dresses. In order for me to change that, I borrowed a necklace from a friend that sparkled so much, it had to get people's attention. I felt rich with the necklace on and even poorer when I lost it.
I spent 10 years of my life trying to pay off that necklace. It wasn't until the necklace was finally paid off that I realized it had been fake. Now, I think it was silly that something so fake, could make me so fake happy. All I needed to do was appreciate my life, and my husband for making me happy.

--------------------------------

Meets the standards of the assignment!

Posted by: Nicole Novak at February 23, 2007 08:34 AM

Gillenberger 1

Erika L.Gillenberger
Instructor Lee Hobbs
ENGL 101.025 College Writing
23 Feb 2007
Mrs. Loisel’s Point of View
I will be writing a short narrative in the first person point of view. The story that I will be using to write the narrative is “The Necklace.” Mathilde Loisel will be the character that I will use to write from in the first-person point of view.

How I ruined ten years of my life by not telling the truth. (92) If only I was not so vain and in love with material possessions. My lust for riches and wealth diminished my humble but normal life. Now my unrealistic dreams are even further from my grasp. I stay captured in my own hell, because I could not bear to receive a bad name in the town. I had to much pride in myself to admit the truth. If only I had told the truth and not worried about people shunning me for the loss of the necklace. My life could have stayed the same if I only told the truth. The life I once had looked pathetic and poor to me now is quite the contrary.

Works Cited
Roberts, Edgar. Writing About Literature: Brief Eleventh Edition. New Jersey: Pearson Education, Inc., 2006.

Interesting!

Posted by: Erika G. at February 23, 2007 09:51 AM

The character I will be using to write is Kehaar from Adams' "Watership Down." Originally, it was set in third person point of view.

Don't believe any human who tells you rabbits are a mute species. They aren't. They're goddamned chatterboxes. They chatter, chatter, chatter away about mutiny and leaving their burrows.
"We need to get away from the gas because blah-di-blah-blah...," they'll say. Do they know I don't care? I'm Kehaar! King of the sky!

The silly rabbits annoy me so much with their senseless drivel that sometimes I'd like to pluck them right off the ground and into the mouth of a more worthy species, like myself. It's been tempting not to eat Blackberry or Blackavar or Bigwig, God, how I hate Bigwig. But I guess the truth is...I kind of like them. They're a different species and they're so determined to help one another. I wish I had fellow birds like that.

Intriguing!

Posted by: kendra sledzinski at February 23, 2007 09:58 AM

I am writing a short narrative from the first-person point of view for the character of Mathidle Loisel from the shirt story the "Necklace". The point of view that was used in the original work was of the third-person.
I would consider myself to be a simple, average woman. I do not choose to live my life this way. If it were up to me I would have many fine dresses and exquisite pieces of jewelry. I just wish that one day I could just wear a beautiful gown and dance among the rich and desired. That would have always just been a dream until the day that I received the invitation that would change my life. The invitation was from the Chancellor of Education, he was inviting my husband and me to a grand event at the Ministry f Education.
At first I just wanted to just jump in joy that my husband and myself were worthy of such an invitation. That is when reality set in. There was no way that I would be attending the event on January 8th; I had nothing to wear. What was a woman with no money to wear to an event that only the finest of garments were to be worn? I told my husband that he might as well just give the invitation to another man at his office that has a wife that has a gown that would fit the occasion. He told me to stop being ridiculous and asked me how much I needed for a dress. I told him that it would cost as much as a summer’s vacation. Being the lovely man he is he gave me the money and told me to buy a nice dress.
As I was excited for the party I realized that I did not have any jewelry to accent my outfit. I told my husband I did not want to go. He told me that I could wear a corsage of flowers to the party. I told him that I was not going to settle for looking like a bagger with such rich and fine company. Then he thought of how I could find a piece of jewelry to allow me to enjoy the evening. He came up with an idea of asking my friend Mrs. Forestier to lend me a piece of her beautiful jewelry. It was a grand idea.
The next day I went to my old friend’s house on the quest for the piece of jewelry that would let me live out my dreams. I told Mrs. Forestier about my situation and she was more then willing to lend me a piece of her jewelry. I came across a diamond necklace that shines with such beauty. She loaned the diamond necklace to me for the evening of the party.
The night of the party was like no other. I was really enjoying the evening while I was dressed to impress. Until I realized after leaving the party that I no longer was wearing the diamond necklace that I had borrowed from my dear friend. My husband and I looked all over for the necklace that probably cost more then I would ever imagine. We never found the necklace. The only thing we could do was to replace it. I went with my husband and found a necklace that look almost as the missing one did. We spent $36,000 francs on the replacement. It was a struggle to buy the dress for the party, now we have to stretch and try to find a way to pay for the one night of enjoyment. If I would have known that a night amongst rich women I would have just stayed home with my husband and cried the night a way about not being able to attend the party of my dreams.

I hope you enjoyed! Sincerely,
Carlos Gonzalez
Eng 121.003

Stupendous!

Posted by: carlos gonzalez at February 23, 2007 10:00 AM

Rebecca Shenkle
2/23/07

Mathilde Loisel in “The Necklace”:
How I ruined ten years of my life by not telling the truth.

Mathilde Loisel is from the story “The Necklace” by Maupassant. She is a fairly poor woman who wants to have the finer things in life and wants to be wealthy. The story is originally told from the third person point of view, so now I am going to tell it in first person, pretending I am Mathilde.

Ten years ago I made a big mistake that changed my life for a quite a while. I was so obsessed with the thought of being wealthy and having fine jewelry that I was willing to do anything to get it. I manipulated my husband many times until he finally gave in and bought me an expensive dress for this party I wanted to go to. Even though I had the new dress, I didn’t have any nice jewelry to wear with it, so I borrowed a beautiful diamond necklace from a rich friend of mine. I went to the party, wore the dress and the necklace, but I ended up losing the diamond necklace! I was so upset, and we looked everywhere for it, but it was gone forever. So the only thing we could do was go into debt in order to buy a new necklace to give back to my rich friend. This was how I lied, because I told my friend that it was the original necklace she gave me. Years later, I found out that the necklace she let me borrow wasn’t even real diamonds. So I spent ten years of my life working hard to pay off my debt, but if I had told the truth in the first place, I would have been fine.

Fabulous!

Posted by: Rebecca Shenkle at February 23, 2007 10:03 AM

Derek Hensley
Young Goodman Brown
Nathaniel Hawthorne
Question e.

Faith: I don’t know what could have happened. He took a walk into the woods one night, before he did I begged him not to go and to stay home with me. He disregarded my plea and left me to be alone. When he returned, my husband was not the same man that I had come to know.

--------------------------------

A little on the short side, but not bad!

Posted by: Derek Hensley at February 23, 2007 10:52 AM

Erika L. Knox
Instructor Lee Hobbs
ENGL 101.003 Humanities Literature
23 February 2007
I am Scoresby Hear Me Roar

Dear Professor Hobbs,

Ever since my years of at Woolwich Academy I have been destined for greatness. I’ll admit that when I started at the academy I didn’t think that I’d make it a day. Sure, I knew a bit about the history of Caesar, but…I’d have to say that that was…well, let’s say that that was my strong point. I knew that I could do it on my own, but one of my teachers insisted on helping me. He developed what he called “The must likely path to Success”. I guess that he had a pretty good idea of what was to be on the tests. So, he gave me a sheet to memorize, and drilled me and quizzed be until I was blue in the face! I had always thought that extensive reading and writing were the best way to research a subject, but I kept passing with flying colors, so I supposed that he knew best!
By the time that I had graduated I was known as an elitist is the academy! I could not have been happier with my success. I was even given a position as an Office in the Crimean War. At first I hesitated to take the position, honestly I was not certain that I had enough experience to take on such an important position. But, when my teacher, my mentor now, heard I was offered the position he began to pack immediately, claiming that he could not let me go without him. That comment sealed the deal. As a teacher he had always seemed to bring me good luck at the academy. So, I figured that as a mentor he would likely do the same for me in the battle field.
Before long we were in the middle of the action. I couldn’t help feeling as though I wasn’t quite as prepared as I thought I should have been, top of my class and all. I was constantly making mistakes, but my mentor was always running around behind me, and everyone around me was very impressed with my work, remarking that I had an excellent mind for battle, and that my intuition was extraordinary. I realized that the academy must really have done a lot of good for me, and mixing my training with my apparent innate abilities, I was an outstanding officer!
As the war progressed I continued to get promoted again and again, making what was described as brilliant calls in every situation. At this point I knew that I must be a military genius. But, I couldn’t help but notice that my mentor was progressively becoming more and more hot tempered with my success, although he never said a word to the officers or the men. I’m sure that it was merely my imagination. It seemed that he brought luck to me here too!
My greatest victory came at the end of the battle when I made the decision to invade the Russian army! I knew that that we were outnumbered, but ever since my years at Woolwich, I had not met with failure, and everyone in the army knew it. We were told to move left, but I thought…I am Colonel Scoresby…I can not fail! And, I did not!
So, now I sit here as Lieutenant-General Lord Arthur Scoresby at a banquet in my honor! All of England knows of my success, and as I look to the room as they gaze at me in admiration my mentor steps up to the podium, to give an auspicious speech in my honor! Before he opens his lips, he looks at me with a smirk…he sure is a funny guy, but he has brought me so much good luck!

--Erika Knox

Incredible!

Posted by: Erika Knox at February 23, 2007 11:20 AM

I am writing my short narrative on Mathilde Loisel in “The Necklace: How I ruined ten years of my life by not telling the truth”.

My name is Mathilde Loisel. My husband go invited to a dinner about ten years ago. I wanted to go, but I felt as if I had nothing nice enough to wear. My husband went out and bought me a new dress, but then I didn’t have any jewelry nice enough to wear to the dinner. So, I asked a dear old friend to borrow a necklace. When I returned home after the dinner, the necklace was gone. I lost it. We went back and retraced our steps. It was no were to be found. We had to take out a loan in order to buy my friend a new one. I worked and worked so hard for the past ten years just to pay off that necklace. I ran into my dear old friend the other day, which I have not seen since I returned the necklace. I explained the whole situation to her, since it was now paid off. She laughed and told me that the necklace she let me borrow was not real. So, I’ve just worked extremely hard for the past ten years to pay off a necklace and the one she let me borrow was not even real. I really wish I would have explained the situation to her ten years ago and avoided all of this.

Amber Dunmire

Wonderful!

Posted by: Amber Dunmire at February 23, 2007 11:23 AM

A. I am doing "The Necklace" in the point of view of Mathilde Loisel. The original story was written in second person point of view.

That darn necklace has cost my husband and I thousands of francs and years of hardwork and dedication. Our lives will be forever changed: for the better, I'm not sure but it has taught me that I am willing to sacrifice myself to stay happy in life. I wouldn't have lost ten years of my life if I would have known that the necklace was not real. Oh but I can not blame my husband or Mrs. Forrestier for what has happened, only myself.

Steve Petrone

Alright!

Posted by: Steve Petrone at February 23, 2007 11:31 AM

As aI layed there rantic about my surroundings, I wondered what would happen, that is when I seen him. Just days before I was flying over the big blue water, then I ended up on the ground because a bird caught my wing. Hazel was his name and he found me. At first I was a little defensive, bu the bunnies took care of me. The little one name Pipkin was really good at getting beetles. They let me lay in their burrow until I got better. Hazel was a little agitated with me because I releived myself often in the burrow and I guess the smell may have angered him. I guess that was a little nasty now that I think about it. But Irepayed the rabbits. Bigwig asked me to fly and see if I can find any other rabbits. I was kind of a long trip but I found two there was a big burrow and then there was a farm with some bunnies. My job was to lead the bunnies to the big burrow. Next thing I know I find out that Hazel was shot. The silly bunnies did not know that they had to take out the balls. I helped him and I guess you can say I saved Hazel's life.

Nice!

Posted by: Donnetta Allen at February 23, 2007 12:53 PM

Shayne Schmidt
Instructor: Lee Hobbs
ENGL 121.003 Humanities Literature
23 February 2007

I have chosen the story “The Necklace” by Edgar V. Roberts. The person I am writing from is Mathilde Loisel.

All I ever wanted in life was to be somebody and to stick out of the crowd for even a night. I feel as beautiful as a princess but as poor as dirt. When I am given the opportunity to shine for a night I blow it. For that night I was youngest I ever felt in my life but for the next ten years would be hell. I have given away my life and beauty for one night that really has not changed me for the better.
My working for ten years to pay off the debt of the necklace has shown me what the world is really looking for someone that is hard working and never a quitter. When I come to realize the necklace was fake and the time wasted in my life it has changed me to see what I could have had early in life if I was not so attracted by royalty.

Great!

Posted by: Shayne Schmidt at February 23, 2007 01:10 PM

--------------------------------------------

*NOTE* The deadline for this assignment has now passed. Comments are no longer being accepted for this exercise

Posted by: Lee Hobbs at February 23, 2007 01:23 PM