« When Words Signify Something Other Than What You Meant Them To | Main | Paneling Practice - The Hobbs ENGL 202 Research Writing Mock-Conference »

October 31, 2006

Using the Library as your Research Writing Hub

Image Source: http://www.iup.edu/photo/images/IUPImagesBuildings/

Students,

Today we had an informative workshop in Stabley 101 of Stapleton Library with Chris Clouser. We looked at many important issues related to related to research writing, the most important of which for today's presentation: how to effectively use the library for research.

Rather than sum up all of Chris's points here, I'd rather read what you gleaned from today's experience. Please leave cogent comments to the following questions below . . .

a. What were the main points of the presentation?
b. What bit of data did you find useful/informative to your own project?
c. How will you utilize the information from today’s workshop?

For those of you who missed the workshop altogether, you can review the PowerPoint both in today's folder on the P:drive and at this link:

Besides posting here, your homework was to read the final portions of the Ballenger text, pages 237 - 246.

Don't forget that we will meet in the Writing Center on Thursday. Have any final questions for the writing center you might have before the first draft is due on Tuesday, November 7th (I've heard some people say that they thought it was on the 17th...I'm clarifying here that the first draft is due in class as a hardcopy on November 7th...see the earlier PowerPoint lecture with the date listed). Don't forget that part of your responsibilty is to arrange an appointment with them (with your draft in hand) BEFORE the 7th deadline.

See you Thursday and Happy Halloween!

Posted by lhobbs at October 31, 2006 07:13 AM

The main points that were addressed in today’s presentation were about how to use the library’s resources and how to find your way around if you are not familiar with each floor. We learned how to access the library’s web page, which is a very valuable tool. It allows you to look through online journals, find books and multimedia, reserve a book through an interlibrary loan and talk to a reference librarian through online chat.

Alysha Goodlin
sec 023
A lot of this information is useful for my research project. I can access academic journals online to use in my paper. Also, I have used looked up books on my topic and found them in the library with the call number that was given. I also found a multimedia source with the use of the library’s search engine. The specific search engines that can be used are also a great tool. I used CINAL a lot because it is a search engine for nursing and allied health, which is what my topic is related to.

Posted by: AlyshaG at October 31, 2006 03:34 PM

Today, We went to the Library to hear an informative lecture about how to search, find, and use the resources the library has to offer. The bit of information i found the most useful was that when searching, you can find articles from different databases simaltaneously through ebsco. The next time i research at Stapleton Library, i will be sure to use duch information as well as search for scholarly articles more effectively by searching under the right database.

Matt R
Section 027

Posted by: Matt R at October 31, 2006 03:37 PM

The main points of the presentation were how to use the IUP library's databases online, how to find books in the library, and facts about the library and where to find different resources. Some data that I found useful to my own project was that searching on the library databases by limiting my searches will help narrow down my search field to exactly what I am looking for. Also, I learned which databases to look at when searching for certain material. I will utilize the information I learned in today’s workshop by
knowing where to look in the library for what I need to find. Now that I know what each floor of the library contains, it will save me time when I need to look for something specific. By knowing the location of everything in the library, it will make it easier to find what I am looking for.

Katie L.
Section 27

Posted by: Katie L. section 27 at October 31, 2006 05:28 PM

-The main point of the presentation was to inform us on what the library has to offer. Not only did he tell us where everything was in the library, but also how to use it and who to contact if you want it.
-The data that I found useful was that there were so many different databases. I also didn't know how the books were separated and how they were arranged by topic. Also, the presenter showing us how to go through the database was useful.
-I'm going to use the help of the databases the most. I didn't know how to narrow down my topic enough, but with those specialized databases, I should be able to find more articles and information.

Posted by: Brittany Molnar at October 31, 2006 06:42 PM

The main points of the presentation at the library today was being able to get to know what tools were available and how to use them when we conduct our research for our papers.
I found that Pilot was very useful. I always had questions on how to find books in the library and the presentation answered a lot of questions that I had. I will be able to use Pilot more efficiently and also the other search engines on the library's website. The tips and tricks slide also gave valuable information on how to find sources easier. That is a big help.

Whitney W.
202, 027

Posted by: Whitney W at October 31, 2006 06:51 PM

Professor Hobbs, here are my responses on Tuesday's demo.

1. Some of the main points were to introduce the library to students that may or may not have been there before. And to grasp the technology of the internet and use it along with the not so modern library.
2. It was helpful to me for him to explain the PILOT again, I have used it before but that does not mean I used it correctly or to its full potential.
3. I will use the information that was provided to me to extend my research and gather more information I may have not been able to find before hand.

Thanks, See you in class
CarrieB

Posted by: Carrie at October 31, 2006 07:31 PM

I think that the main points of the presentation given today were how to find a book in the library, how to find an article on electronic databases and pointing out that librarians are there to help.
I found if useful when he searched the online databases and showed how to narrow down your topic search on specific databases. I did not use that approach when searching for my articles, it would have been helpful.
I will utilize today's information by remembering all of the techniques the presenter showed us today on how to find research material on the online databases. I am already done researching my topic for this class, but will take these things into consideration next time I write a paper.

Katie M.
Section 027

Posted by: Katie M. at October 31, 2006 10:40 PM

The main points of the presentation in English class were basically how to use the library webpage. Then the power point went on to discuss what all a student can do on the webpage. The basic links every college student should know, even if one has never been to the library to study for example, how to access the databases and online catalog. Another slide that seemed to be a main point was where to locate everything in the library: periodicals, journals, media, the reference desk, etc.
The bit of data I found useful was when the speaker went through the steps of narrowing down your search on EBSCO host and PILOT. He showed us the right way on how to find scholarly articles or even how to properly search on PILOT. Everything else I pretty much already knew from freshman year to having another class this semester with a library workshop. Don’t get me wrong I believe the information is very useful and a good refresher.
I will probably utilize the information from this presentation for my research paper and other various paper assignments in the future.
Ashley O.
Sec 023

Posted by: Ashley O. at October 31, 2006 11:49 PM

In my opinion, the library did an excellent job in choosing a speaker to deliver information about the library and its many resources. I believe the information was very helpful to many students; some of the material covered I had already known, but I was unaware of the many other aspects of the library such as media resources. The segment of the presentation that I found most useful was the advanced search options for a topic in an online database that the IUP Library has subscriptions for. This resource has been and probably will continue to be the most important research tool for me throughout my college years, so it is important that I know how to use it efficiently. In the future, it would be in my best interest to utilize the reference desk more often whether it is for research help, assignment help, or any type of indexing question.

Rich L.
ENGL 202-027

Posted by: Rich L. at November 1, 2006 12:37 AM

The main points of the presentation at the library were how to use the different services they have as well as where exactly in the library they can be found. Also, we found out how to use the library's web page and we went over how to use databases to help us find other sources for our research papers. The information that I found most useful for my project was the descriptive ways he went over how to use the databases. This will make it easier for me narrow down my searches and give me more relevant results. I will utitlize the information I learned during the library presentation by going back to the databases and doing new searches to see if I can find some more good journal articles.

Cody M.
Section 027

Posted by: Cody M. at November 1, 2006 10:27 AM

The power point that that our class watched in the library helped teach us how to search for information on the library’s website. The library website also helped us with what we were looking for in the actual library.
I found it very useful when I was taught how to search for scholarly articles on the website. I now can tell the difference between actual scholarly articles and newspapers articles. I believe this information is going to come very useful to me.
I will utilize this information from this workshop by using it to help find information for my topic that is about the effects of divorce on children. I now will have a much easier time searching for the information I need using the library’s website.

Nick Logue
Section 027

Posted by: Nick L at November 1, 2006 10:28 AM

The main points in the presentation were to learn how to find books, atricles, equitment, ect in the library as well as services and other essentials the library has to offer. The presentation also gave a "verbal walk through" on how to find books using the number system and a break down of how to use the website to its fullest. I found the research guide interesting and possibly very helpful to use. I was not aware that the library offered information grouped together by the librarians on certian topics. Hopfully there will be something for me to use. I will utilize the information I learned by properly using the wesite to its fullest, as well as, be able to find more sources on my topic with my new knowledge of the research guide and how to narrow my search using the website.

Michael A.
027

Posted by: Ace at November 1, 2006 12:11 PM

The main points of the presentation were to show the students how to use and search for different topics using many various databases. Also, he showed us how to search for and request books, articles, journals, etc. I found that the third floor of the library has historical information on Indiana and Western PA. I will use the third floor's various periodicals and information to greatly help in my project on the Great Depression. It will also show me how IUP was affected during that time.

Heather H.
Engl 202-027

Posted by: Heather H. at November 1, 2006 01:01 PM

The main points of the presentation were how to search for books in the library online and in the actual library. Another point was all the features the library has. I found the different search databases to be useful because I learned more about how to find specific information easier. Since I did all my research already for this paper, I will use what I learned in the future to find sources easier or just for enjoyment in case I feel like getting a book I'm interested in.

Posted by: Brian B. at November 1, 2006 04:29 PM

Here are my answers to your questions posed on Tuesday.

Tuesday’s presentation at the library had three main points. The first point was to generalize us were things were located at in the library. Second was to show us how to navigate the IUP library web page. Finally the third point was to show us how different databases could be used to help search for books and journals. I found bits of this presentation to be very helpful. For example, the information on how to do advance searches and how to request books and journals that the library does not own. Although this information came a little to late to use for this research project I will be able to utilize it for future research projects.

Michelle W.
Section 27

Posted by: Michelle W at November 1, 2006 05:28 PM

The main points of the presentation were the areas of the library as well as the website with the several search engines. The data, which I found would be most useful, were the online databases. Although the library offers much of the resources, the online sites seem to be more easily accessed. The information that I will and have used is the online databases, since I can use them at any time and get on quickly.

Posted by: Sophia. W Section 23 at November 1, 2006 05:37 PM

The speaker we had today went over some basic and useful tools to use in the library. He described the reference catalog system, the online website, and the many databases to access periodicals, scholarly articles, etc. I thought he went into pretty good detail about the basic layout of the library and the online databases. I learned some new ways to search for scholarly articles and periodicals. From what I learned today I will be able to maneuver the online website easier, including searching through the many databases and the online catalog. Also if our library does not have a book that I need, I can get it through the PALCI program.

Ashley C.
Section 23

Posted by: Ashley C. at November 1, 2006 05:59 PM

Here are my response questions from the library workshop!

a. What were the main points of the presentation?
At the beginning of the lecture the speaker began with an overview of the library and it gave the layout of the various resources that are available. He then went into detail about how to conduct research at the library and how do preform good searches instrad of generic searches.

b. What bit of data did you find useful/informative to your own project?
I did not realize the library had so many things to offer so I have decided to bring my paper to the library and make some drastic changes using the new resources u have learned about today.

c. How will you utilize the information from today’s workshop?
Like I said before now I can completely revise how i want to do my paper and presentation and i have just recently learned that the library is the perfect place to do it!!

Britain M.
Section 027

Posted by: Britain.M at November 1, 2006 06:18 PM

The presentation showed the class how to use the different resources that the library offers. Some of these services include the different reference desks that are available, what the librarians are available to help you with, and about the library website can be used for. After this presentation I learned where I can find an article that will help in my paper and may even help to prove one of the major points in my paper. After the workshop I went and asked a librarian at the reference desk for help in locating an article for my paper. After about five minutes she helped me to order the article that I needed off of the interlibrary loan system on the library website.

Matt G.
Section 23

Posted by: Matt G. at November 1, 2006 06:28 PM

The presentation focused on how to use the library for research. It went over where all the resources are located in the library, and where to ask for help if needed. The presenter then went over the online resources such as Pilot and Academic Search Premier. He went over how to conduct searches in each source and how to limit the sources for select information.

I found that it was useful to see how you can narrow searches down or select certain words to just be brought up in the search. I will use those search options in my future research projects because it may be useful in finding more sources on my topic. Also, I found that it was useful to go over where you can find help in the library because I rarely go to the library and the few times I do I never know where to go for help. It will be very useful in the future when I need to find something.

Andrea N.
Sec. 023

Posted by: Andrea N. at November 1, 2006 07:09 PM

The main points that were emphasized was on how to use the library on campus as well as from home. All of the information was quite useful. I normally commute and use their resources from my own personal computer, the presenter simplified on how to get the things you want at a more accurate rate. The presentation also outlined the library and introduced all of the available resources. The most helpful information was the multimedia topic, I will now try and find a video source that pertains to my topic for my presentation.

Dawn L. Sect. 023

Posted by: Dawn L. at November 1, 2006 07:34 PM

1. The main points were to learn about the library resources, where to got to obtain them and how to use them correctly.

2.The information I found useful were how to get scholarly articlees corrrectly on the library web page. Narrowing down the topics for a book were useful too.

3. I'll utilize the information by using the tips and practices given to us. And also asking questions when I need help at the reference desk.

Laurisa Jackson Section 027

Posted by: Laurisa Jackson at November 1, 2006 07:36 PM

The main points of the presentation in the library were to understand what resources are available in Stapleton, and also how to access books and articles from the library's website. What I found most useful was how to make personal searches more specific. The tips that were given will really help me when I go to research topics. Also, I will use the techniques on how to find scholarly articles in the future when I need sources for work I have to do.

Lauren S.
English 202-027

Posted by: Lauren S. at November 1, 2006 07:38 PM

The main points of the presentation were to ameliorate us with the library and its various functions, as well as, introduce the useful technological resources available outside the library, on their website. I believe the most valuable point to my research project would have to be how to use PILOT. Before this presentation, I didn’t even know it existed. Now that I’ve seen this presentation, I can use PILOT to my benefit. I will also use the library’s website as a valuable source of finding information.

Amber B.
Sect. 023

Posted by: Amber B. at November 1, 2006 07:45 PM

The main points of the presentation were how to search for books in the library online and in the library itself. Another point was what features the library offered. I found the different search databases to be useful because I learned more about how to find specific information easier. Since I already did my research, I will use this information for future research or just for enjoyment in case there is a book I'm intersted in.

Posted by: Brian B. at November 1, 2006 08:32 PM

Professor Hobbs:

I felt that the main point of the presentation was to get students to understand that the library is a tool that is very easy to use and effective if you take the time to understand how it works. The presentation broke that idea down and discussed specific aspects of this larger picture. Honestly, as a music major, I have utilized Stapleton Library, as the brunt of my library use/needs lie in Orendorff Library across the street, so I would have to say I found most of the information, especially how 'in library' searches useful as it was all fairly new to me. I feel that I will utilize the information from the workshop. Although I have basically completed the research portion of the paper for this course, I could foresee myself being more likely to use the library in the future as a result of this presentation.

Vince W.
section 023

Posted by: Vince W. at November 1, 2006 08:32 PM

The main points in the presenation were what is located on each floor of the library and what those things are. EBSCO and PILOT and ILLIAD those programs and the academic search premier

I found what he had to say about EBSCO helped me alot. I am normally pretty bad at searching on ebsco but i tried some of his tips and they really do work i found alot more matches for MSG and food additives. I had already seen the presentation when i was a freshman so it was all a refresher course but it helped.

I will utilize it more when i use EBSCO and I will use Pilot to search for books without having to go to the library until I am ready to pick up the book.

Thanks,
Dan Darvalics
Sec 027

Posted by: Danny D. at November 1, 2006 08:33 PM

Hi Professor Hobbs,
Library Workshop Response:

In class, Tuesday 10/31, we viewed an informational presentation about the library. The main points of the presentation and power point were; a short introduction for those students who have never utilized the library, how to use the library’s website to find what you are looking for, where everything is located in the library and also where to find librarians who can help you in a specific area. The small bit of data that I found the most useful was discussing the location of all books and knowing where to go for help, because personally I have found the library overwhelming in certain aspects. I will utilize the information from this workshop every time I am working the library, simply for studying, checking out books or for other reasons. Even though this is not the first library informational presentation/workshop I've seen I found it very helpful and useful.

Jennifer T.
Sec. 202.023

Posted by: Jennifer T. at November 1, 2006 09:44 PM

1. This presesntation showed me how to research more things on my topic, and how to use resources I never knew existed in the library. It also gave me a general idea of the help and services offered in the library.
2. I will most likely use EBSCOhost more now that I know different ways to access information. I was using google.com but now I can use EBSCOhost and more reliable resources.
3. I will use EBSCOhost and the library more than just the general internet.

Miki B.
Section 027

Posted by: Miki B. at November 1, 2006 10:08 PM

The main points of our workshop were how to use the various sources available in our library and on the library webpage. I found alot of the information useful since I had never checked out a book at the IUP library. I plan to use the searches to locate books on my topic and also to look into the inter-library loan if I can't find a book I need.

Posted by: Angie F. at November 1, 2006 10:11 PM

Some of the main points of the presentation were how to use the database and the locations of where everything is and what floor in the library. Also he talked about all the help that is given in the library. Things that were useful to my project would have been how to look up different sources on the computers in the catalog but when he went over the pilot system. I hope that the information from the presentation will help me progress my research until it is where I am happy with it.

Valerie W.
Section 202 023

Posted by: Valerie W. at November 1, 2006 10:36 PM

Yesterday during the presentation in the library the librarian Chris covered many topics. He talked about all the different resources available in the library from books to video cameras. He also talked about all the help available from the library staff and how accessible these people really are. One of his final points was that the library was available for more than just Java City coffee and is a valuable and expensive resource provided by the university that we as students are all paying for.

I use the library quite frequently, but the thing that I did find interesting, but not necessarily for my topic, was that there is a large collection of music in the building across the street. I’d like to look into this sometime and browse around. Another thing that I found valuable was that there is a technology help desk and that is where I’m supposed to go if the printer gives me problems. This will be good to know in the future.

I’m planning on using the library for a good amount of my project. I obtained my media resource and a lot of my books through this library. I was able to secure a few of my books through PALCI. It’s nice to have a library that has deals like that so I can get a book from anywhere.

Sam H.
Section 023

Posted by: Sam H. at November 1, 2006 10:37 PM

The main points of the presentation were to learn how to access the library’s books, databases and other important resources. Also, it explained what floor or area one can find certain journals or books. But the most useful information I learned was what database searches can be most valuable to my research topic. I will use the databases to find more articles pertaining to my topic, which will strengthen my research paper. Another useful tool was the pilot. It is a quick and easy way to look for sources in the library because the pilot lets you narrow your book or journal search. Furthermore, this presentation not only will help me in English class, but in my future courses.
Jake M
Section 027

Posted by: Jake M at November 1, 2006 10:48 PM

The main points of the presentation were how to utilize PILOT to access books in the library as well as online. Also, we learned how to use the different search databases to find books, periodicals, and journals. I found it useful that we can limit our searches so the results aren't as overwhelming. I will utilize the limiters on the search databases to cut down my results. I will also use the PILOT function to find books much easier.

Adam V.
Section 27

Posted by: Adam V. at November 2, 2006 12:25 AM

The main point of the presentation at the library was to research correctly and concisely. There are many tools that are at your fingertips at the library, but you have to know that they are there in order to use them.

More specifically, I found the review of EbscoHost the most helpful. It showed how to research more concisely in order to come up with better search results.

I plan on using EbscoHost to help me find better sources in order to back up my opinion. I think that after I revise my search I will come up with more useful information that will better support my argument.

-Chris D.
Section 27

Posted by: Chris D at November 2, 2006 01:34 AM

The main points of the Library presentation were to inform students on where what materials the library contained, where these materials could be found, and how you can find help while searching for certain resources. I feel learning about the PIOLT was the most informative piece of information I obtained from the presentation since I have never understood how to search for as well as find books in the library. I will be able to effectively search for and find key information which will be used in my research paper.
Bryan M. 023

Posted by: Bryan M at November 2, 2006 02:36 AM

A. The main points were the resources the library has and the efforts the librarians and staff do to keep-up the library for its students.
B. Using the databases simultaneously, I never knew that until today.
C. I will utilize by finding more info for my topic and asking the reference personnel help when needed.

Posted by: Nathan P. at November 2, 2006 04:25 AM

*NOTE* Deadline for this assignment has passed. Comments are no longer being accepted for this exercise.

Posted by: Lee at November 8, 2006 01:01 PM