« Research Writing - Asking Questions About Potential Topics | Main | Documentary Film - Trekkies »

September 14, 2006

Narrowing Things Down & Your First Four Sources

Image Source: http://www.saskschools.ca/curr_content/teachlib/images/smokeweb.jpg

Students,

Enter your information about your most recently narrowed topic and MLA cited sources as indicated by these instructions in the comment box. Later, we'll use this posted information to peer-review and provide feedback for one another. Remember, this is a public space, so do your best and be mindful of your language mechanics. Who knows, maybe someone out there in cyberspace will give you some feedback to your topics as well (it's happened before).

Part 1: REVISE

Sometime this weekend, look at your topic and how it was refined by your classmates. Decide if you like it or not. If not, use the same exercise and narrow it down (according to the rules of Ballenger, page 54) to some way that you DO like. Write it down.

Part 2: RESEARCH

Continue the process of exploratory research. Go to the library or work from home, but sometime before our next meeting, and find . . .

• one book source,
• one scholarly paper source and
• one acceptable website source.

If you don’t like your newspaper source that you found the other day, then get a more suitable one.

The rule here is: the sources should be applicable to your new topic. Please don’t waste your own time. If you are going to spend time researching this, then find some stuff that you can really use.

If you have questions about where to look, ask one our wonderful research librarians at Stapleton. Bring your topic with you. [Tell them it will be an 8-page, typed, research essay in MLA format with at least six sources: book, scholarly article, multimedia, interview, a well-respected website, and a newspaper article must be included.]

If you have questions about citing the websites (or their validity), then please ask me first.

Part 3: REPORT

Come back to the English-Blog (if you're reading this post-success!). Please do the following in your comment/response to this posting:

Report your “NEW” and improved, revised topic. Tell me what it was before, what your classmate revised it to and what you revised it to (if you didn’t like the way your classmate revised it).

Then, let me know your first four sources for exploratory research. You might write something like, "Professor Hobbs, here are four sources that I will use to being some exploratory research on my topic . . ." Then, provide me with your citations in MLA style for all four sources. (NOTE: See Heather's response, she did a great job--use this as a model, but please put the ideas into your own words):

LATE-BREAKING DEVELOPMENT:

It looks like the comment box on the English-Blog doesn't like the "less than" and the” greater than" signs in our citations for some odd reason.

So, even though we will have to use those in our typed and printed versions of the citations, for the English-blog version, please substitute those characters with something else like brackets: "[" and "]".

Otherwise, everything that's inside of the "less than" and "greater than" will disappear. (I can't even get them to show up for this little demo.)

Heather’s was first. Look at hers and see how I had to change the “<” to a “[“ and a “>” to a “]”

This little tweak I'm suggesting is applicable only to the blog (not for any hardcopy versions I might ask for in the future). I apologize ahead of time for the confusion!

Posted by lhobbs at September 14, 2006 01:41 PM

At first my topic was “How the Great Depression affected people in Western Pennsylvania.”

One of my classmates, in a class workshop, narrowed it down to, “How the Great Depression affected the Carnegie family.”

I didn’t like this version of the topic but, after working with it, I came up with this: “How the Great Depression affected people in Indiana, Pennsylvania.”

Here are four sources (a newspaper article, a scholarly article, a book and a website) that I will begin to look at for some exploratory research. This will help guide me to either better research resources or to a solid research question and proposal.
-----
“Topics in Wall Street: Further Recovery on Stock Exchange: Trading Again Active.” New York Times 16 April 1925: 26. ProQuest Historical Newspapers (1853-2003) 12 Sept 2006 [http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?RQT=302&cfc=1].

Calomiris, Charles W. “Financial Factors in the Great Depression.” Journal of Economic Perspectives Volume 7, Number 2 (Spring 1993): 61-85.

Wicker, Elmus. The Banking Panics of the Great Depression. New York: Cambridge UP, 2000.

Kangas, Steve. "The Great Depression: It’s Causes and Cure." 14 Sept 2006 [http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/THE_GREAT_DEPRESSION.htm].
-----
Thanks,
Heather H.
Engl 202-027

Posted by: Heather H. at September 14, 2006 05:24 PM

My research topic started as "music's effects on children with autism."

One of my classmates narrowed it down to "classical music's effects on teenagers with autism." I didn't care for this topic so I worked on it and narrowed it down to "musical therapy's effects on young (K-6) children with autism.

Here are four of my sources I found so far:

Newspaper:
Kannapell, Andrea. “The Art of Beginnings.” New York Times 3 Jan. 1999: NJ4. ProQuest Historical Newspapers (1857- current files). 14 Sept. 2006 [http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb].

Book:
Alvin, Juliette. Music Therapy for the Autistic Child. 1991. New York: Oxford University Press, 1992.

Scholarly Article:
Shore, Steven M. “Language of Music: Working with Children on the Autism Spectrum.” Journal of Education 183.2 (2002): 97. Academic Search Premier. EBSCOhost. 14 Sept. 2006 [http://www.epnet.com].

Website:
“Music Therapy and Individuals with Diagnoses on the Autism Spectrum.” American Music Therapy Association. 2002. American Music Therapy Association Inc. 14 Sept. 2006 [http://www.musictherapy.org/factsheets/autism.html].

Andrea N.
Section 023

Posted by: Andrea N. at September 15, 2006 11:11 AM

At first my topic was, “Divorce and how it affects Their Children.”

One of my classmates gave me the idea of the topic, “The Hinder of Divorce on a Child’s Relationship with his Parents.”

I found this topic to be somewhat interesting but gave me the idea to change is up a little bit. The idea that came in mind for my topic was “Divorced children living in Two Families.”

These are my four sources I have chosen (newspaper article, scholarly article, book, and a website) to help me with my research. These sources will help me find information for my topic.

Shulman, Richard, “Should you stay together for the sake of the Children?” California Divorce. 15 Sep. 2006. “Heart and Mind: Children and Divorce.” 15 Sep 2006
[http://californiadivorce.info/psychology.children.htm]

Teachman, Jay. “The Childhood Living Arrangements of Children and Characteristics of their Marriages.” Journal of Family Issues. 25.1 Sage Publications. 15 Sep 2006
[http://jfi.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/25/1/86]

“Ruth Messinger, New Borough Chief, Weds Andrew Lachman, Schools Aide.” New York Times. 1 Jan 2006: pg. 22. ProQuest: 15 Sep 2006
[http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb]

Abbas, Jen, “Generation Ex.” Austin, TX: Waterbrook. 2004

Nick Logue
Section 027

Posted by: Nick L at September 15, 2006 11:34 AM

Professor Hobbs:

My original idea for the research project was simply ‘The Percussive Arts Society International Convention.’ I was interested in the topic, knew that I could find a good amount of credible resources about the convention, and realized that not a lot of research about the convention in and of itself has been done, giving me an opportunity to do something potentially new. To be totally honest, the suggestions that my classmate gave me did not help me much at all. The suggestions were very generic, and probably given without much thought (how does [insert topic] affect Pennsylvania, Indiana, Pittsburgh, your hometown, etc). Nevertheless, the idea got me thinking indirectly about something else: the affect that PASIC has on the many diverse people who are interested in it and attend the convention. As a patron of the convention, I absolutely love reading about, attending, and discussing the convention. On the surface, however, PASIC is not better than any other music convention out there. In fact, in my research thus far I’ve realized that PASIC annually is roughly half the size of some larger music conventions that I’ve discovered that were still somewhat obscure. Why do percussionists like me love this convention so much? Within the percussion world it has become the premier event of the year. To percussionists, the year begins and ends with PASIC. Why is this? What about PASIC makes it such an effective organization/event (I’ve already found some information supporting this point in some readings I’ve found)? What in the past, present, and future has PASIC done, is doing, and will do to continue to do to make the convention an even more entertaining, wide-reaching, and, most importantly, educational event? These are some ‘big’ questions that I am posing, and my hope is that as I begin to develop the research question/proposal that these questions can be refined into a straightforward yet encompassing research question and proposal regarding the convention. Although it appears as though I still have a lot of ideas, I feel that I have made some significant strides in ‘narrowing my focus’. Below are the sources that I have used in my research thus far.

Holly, Rich. "Welcome to the Percussive Arts Society!." About PAS. Sept 2006. Percussive Arts Society.
16 Sep 2006 [http://www.pas.org/About/index.cfm].

Mattingly, Rick. "Putting PASIC Together." Percussive Notes 41(2003): 4.

Muller, Kenneth A.. Teaching Total Percussion. New York: Parker Publishing Co. Inc., 1972.

Strauss, Neil. "New Music Seminar: Total Immersion." New York Times 20 Jul 1994: 1-2. New York
Times Historical. ProQuest Historical Newspapers. IUP Library Database. 12 Sep 2006
nst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1158195956&clientId=63512>.

Vince W.
section 023

Posted by: Vince W. at September 17, 2006 11:43 PM

My topic began as a very broad Heroin paper. I had so many questions and so much information that I wanted to distribute thru my paper; however, the idea was just too broad and would have left me lost while researching. I then considered the idea that was given to me in class about “What are the moral effects of heroin use on addicts and their families in the United States?”and even though I really liked this idea, it still seemed like too much information to consider. So I sat down and did a lot of the self-questioning; what do I want to know? What do I want to inform my readers about? Finally, I have come to the conclusion that, as of right now, my topic will be “Heroin addiction and the Effects it has on Families.”
The book source I used is:

Carnwath, Tom and Ian Smith. Heroin Century. London and New York: Routledge, 2002

The scholarly journal/ article I used is:

Alexander, Bruce K., Gary S. Dibb. Opiate Addicts and Their Parents. Family Process 14(1975): 499-514

The web-site I used is:

Brooks, Anthony. Heroin in America. NPR. 16, Sept. 2006 [http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1688762]

The news paper article I used is:
Kaufman, Leslie. "Weighing Parent Rights and Child Safety." New York Times 27 Sept. 2003: B3. ProQuest Historical Newspapers (1851-2003). 13 Sept. 2006 [http://www.proquest.umi.com/pqdweb.]

Also, I am sorry that the comment box will not let me indent correctly or italicize.

Amber K.
English 202; section 023
Tue and Thur 8:00-9:30am

Posted by: Amber K. at September 18, 2006 10:42 AM

I began with the general topic: Sports Psychology: How It Affects Today’s Athletes.

A classmate narrowed it down to: Sports Psychology: Parents Pushing Kids To Do Sports and How It Affects The Kids.

This was not my intended route for this topic so I changed it to: How The Advances In Sports Psychology Are Affecting Today’s Athletes.

Here are my four sources:

Horn, Thelma. “Advances In Sport Psychology.” Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 2002.

Grindstaff, Jason S., and Fisher, Leslee A. “Sport Psychology Consultants' Experience of Using Hypnosis in Their Practice: An Exploratory Investigation.” Sports Psychologist 20.3 Sept. 2006. Academic Search Premier. EBSCOhost. 14 Sept. 2006 [http://www.epnet.com].

Raiport, Gregory. “The Sports Psychologist Give Russians an Edge.” New York Times 19 Feb. 1978: S2. ProQuest Historical Newspapers (1851-2003). 13 Sept. 2006 [http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb].

“Applied Sport Psychology.” Association For The Advancement Of Applied Sport Psychology. 14 Sept. 2006 [http://www.aaasponline.org/asp/index.php].

Angie F.
ENGL 202-023

Posted by: Angie at September 18, 2006 11:51 AM

When I started researching my topic, I was solely looking for steroid abuse in sports. After our in class exercise and some more brainstorming techniques, I decided that I’m either settling on the topic, “Steroid Use in Major League Baseball: How it Affects High School Athletes” or “Does Steroid Use in Major League Baseball Influence High School Athletes to Use Them?” I’m still dancing around each topic, deciding which angle I want to pursue.

Following are four research sources that I found that will help me formulate a better research topic and proposal.

Book:

Cohen, Arthur R. Attitude Change and Social Influence. New York, London: Basic Books, Inc., 1964.

Newspaper Article:

Tellem, Arn. “Seeking Heroes, Finding Humans.” New York Times 3 April 2005: Sports Desk 10. NewsBank. 9 Sept. 2006. [http://infoweb.newsbank.com].

Scholarly Article:

Blumenthal, Mark, comp. “President Signs New Law Banning Designer Steroids Dietary Supplements: DHEA Exempted From Ban.” 2005. HerbalGram; Winter2005 Issue 65, p58-59, 2p. 18 Sept. 2006 [http://web.ebscohost.com].

Website:

DeMarco, Tony. “Canseco an Unlikely Catalyst for Change.” MSNBC 5 Aug. 2005: 1 p. 14 Sept. 2006 [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8831778/].
------------
Thanks,

Rich L.
ENG 202.027

Posted by: Rich L. at September 18, 2006 11:57 AM

At first my topic was “The dangers of HPV.”
One of my classmates, in a class workshop, narrowed it down to, “The dangers of HPV on college campuses”
I didn’t like that topic so I reworked it and came up with: “The dangers of HPV for Women.”
Here are four sources (a newspaper article, a scholarly article, a book and a website) that I will begin to look at for some exploratory research:

Boffey M., Phillip. “The Latest Concern About Sex: The Perils of the Papilloma Virus.”
New York Times 17 Nov. 1987: C3. ProQuest Historical Newspapers (1851-2003). 18 Sept. 2006 [http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb? ].

Dunne, Eileen F, and Markowitz, Lauri E. “Genital human papillomavirus infection.”
Clinical infectious diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, 2006 Sep 1, 43(5):624-9. Epub: 2006 Jul 26.

Parker, James N., and Parker, Philip M. “The Official Patient's Sourcebook On Genital HPV Infection.” San Diego, Calif.: Icon Group International, Inc, 2002.

“Facts about Human Papilloma Virus (HPV).” Sexually Transmitted Diseases Program.
18 May 2004. Public Health (King County). 18 Sept. 2006
[http://www.metrokc.gov/health/apu/std/hpv.htm].

Posted by: Sophia. W Section 23 at September 18, 2006 01:49 PM

As of last class, my topic was Shakespearean Linguistics. My classmate narrowed it down into the following:
Shakespearean Linguistics today
Shakespearean Linguistics in America
Shakespearean Linguistics in 2006
Shakespearean Linguistics in American classes
There was not a specific one of these topics chosen by my classmate.
I have decided that my new topic is going to be Shakespearean Linguistics vs. Our Linguistics.
The following are my MLA style documentations for my first four sources:

BOOK:
Doyle, John and Lischner, Ray. Shakespeare for Dummies. Indianapolis, Indiana: Wiley Publishing Inc., 1999.

WEBSITE:
The Language of Shakespeare. 13 Aug 2006. Shakespeare Resource Center. 18 Sept. 20006. [http://www.bardweb.net/language.html].

SCHOLARLY ARTICLE:
Vernon, Jennifer. “Shakespeare’s Coined Words Now Common Currency.” National Geographic News. 22 April 2004. 13 Sept. 2006. [http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/04/0419_040419_shakespeare.html].

NEWSPAPER:
“Some New Views of Shakespeare.” New York Times 20 Feb 1909: 101. Historical Newspapers (1857- current files). 18 Sept. 2006. [http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb].

Amber B.
Sect. 23

Posted by: Amber B. at September 18, 2006 02:36 PM

Professor Hobbs-

My original topic started out as the obsession with beauty and the effects it has on young women via the medias influence. My topic was very broad, so one of my classmates suggested that I narrow it down. She gave me suggestions on narrowing down the time period, place, and people involved. She did not write down a new specific topic however; her suggestions helped me discover my new subject. Her ideas were helpful and gave me my new research topic which is the obsession with beauty in the last century and the effects it has on young women (18-30 yrs of age) in America via the media’s influence.

The following sources are going to be helpful in researching my topic. The sources I chose were a newspaper article, a book, a website, and a scholarly article. These sources will help me gather the information I need to construct my research paper.
--------
Elliot, Stuart. “Advertising.” New York Times 26 Apr 1994: D18. Proquest Historical Newspapers (1851-2003). 12 Sept 2006 [http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?].

Matthews, John R. Eating Disorders. New York: Facts on File, 1991.

Thompson, Colleen. "Society." 5 July 2004. EDSA. 17 Sept. 2006 [www.mirror-mirror.org].

Ogden, Jane, and Kate Mundray. "The Effect of the Media on Body Satisfaction: the Role of Gender and Size." European Eating Disorders Review 4.3 (1996): 171-182. Academic Search Premier. 17 Sept.2006 [http://http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail?]

Thanks
Katie L.
Section 27

Posted by: Katie L. section 27 at September 18, 2006 03:10 PM

Hi Professor Hobbs,

My initial topic was how women's fashions have been changed and influenced over the past century. Through our inclass activity, my topic was changed to how women's fashions have been changed and influenced in New York over the past five years. However, I think that I will stick with my original thesis, because the new one is too specific, and I'm afraid that I won't be able to find enough information on it.

Here are the four sources that I found to begin my research on my topic.
Book source:
Kennedy, Shirley. Pucci: a Renaissance in Fashion. 1st. ed. New York: Abbeville Press, 1991.

website source:
German, Anna. "Vintage Fashion Never Goes Out of Style." Columbia Daily Spectator (2006). Lexis Nexis. 18 Sept. 2006 [http://web.lexis-nexis.com].

newspaper article:
Menkes, Suzy. "Breaking Taboos by Finding Joy in Frills and Fun." New York Times 30 Sept. 1994: 51. EBSCO. 18 Sept. 2006 [http://web. ebscohost.com].

and scholarly article:
Agrell, Siri. "Working in the Moment: After 25 Years, Annie Thompson Isn't About to Try Predicting the Future." National Post 29 Apr. 2006, Toronto ed. Lexis- Nexis. 18 Sept. 2006 [http://web. lexis-nexis. Com].

Lauren S.
Engl. 202 section 27

Posted by: Lauren S. at September 18, 2006 04:04 PM

At first my topic was "Parents and athletic scholarships push high school athletes to use steroids."

One of my classmates, in a class workshop, narrowed my topic down to "drug testing in high schools."

I didn't like this version of the topic but, after working with it, I came up with this: "Steroid testing high school athletes would greatly reduce it's use."

Here are four sources that I have found so far to develop a research question and proposal.

......

Internet:
Celizik, Mike. "Time for Steroid Testing in High School." MSNBC. 24 Apr. 2004. 16 Sept. 2006 (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4556250/).

Scholary paper:
Stilger, Vincent G., and Charles E. Yesalis. "Anabolic-Androgenic Steroid Use Among High School Football Players." Journal of Community Health 24.2 (1999): 131-145. 16 Sept. 2006 (http://www.springerlink.com/content/w8557174k4818g04/).

Book:
Fainaru-Wada, Mark, and Lance Williams. Game of Shadows. New York City: Gotham, 2006.

Newspaper:
Sappenfield, Mark. "California Has Become the First to Establish Steroid Rules for High-Schoolers as Seven Other States Consider Similar Bills." Christian Science Monitor 9 Mar. 2005: 1-4. Newspaper Source. EBSCOhost. 18 Sept. 2006.
.......

Thanks,
Cody M.
Section 027

Posted by: Cody M. at September 18, 2006 04:06 PM

Hi Professor Hobbs,

My topic of choice is how is monosodium glutamate effects our bodies. I also want to research some to see if it applies to dog food and if it does is hurt animals? Also I want to question the health and chemistry breakdown of what MSG is.

Newspaper

Hewitt, Jean. “News of Food: Flavor; Monosodium Glutamate, Discovery Of Ancient Orient,
Improves Taste Considered a Seasoning Savory Foods Benefit.” New York Times.
15 October 1963: p.62 12 September 2006.

Scholary article
Maletínská, Lenka
"Effect of cholecystokinin on feeding is
attenuated in monosodium glutamate obese mice"

Internet:

"Monosodium glutamate (MSG): What is it and is it harmful?" http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/monosodium-glutamate/AN01251

Book

Schwartz, George "In Bad Taste the Msg Syndrome

In Bad Taste the Msg Syndrome"

Thanks,

Danny D.
engl 202-027

Posted by: Danny D. at September 18, 2006 04:49 PM

Dr. Hobbs,

My initial research topic was "The Psychological and Financial Effects of Pharmaceutical Drugs"
My neighbor narrowed it down to "The Psychological Effects of Pharmaceutical Drugs On Children in America". I liked where she was going and stuck with part of it. My new topic is "Antipsychotic Medicine and Children". This narrows it down while also leaving a wide range to work with. Here are my four sources I will start out with....

Website:
Hopkins, John. “Antipsychotic Drugs Linked To Insulin Resistance In Children.” (Johns Hopkins Medicine) 20 Oct.2004 http://www.hopkinschildrens.org.

Book:
Libel, Autumn. (Drug Therapy and Dissociative Disorders.) New York: Book Collection, 2003.

Scholarly Journal:
Goldman, Larry S.; Genel, Myron; Bezman, Rebecca J.; Slanetz, Pricilla J.; “Diagnosis and Treatment of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in Children and Adolescents.” (Jama) Apr. 1998;279: 1100-1107 www.Jama.com.

Newspaper:
Talan, Jamie. “Psych Rx For Kids Up Fivefold.” (Newsday, Melville, NY) 13 June 2006. http://www.ebscohost.com.

Dawn L. 023

Posted by: Dawn Longenecker at September 18, 2006 05:21 PM

My topic started of really broad with the Navy SEALs. After the in class workshop my partner helped me narrow it down to "Navy SEALs special operations in the fight against Terrorism."Here are my four sources:
Book:
Streissguth, Tom. U.S. Navy SEALs. Minnesota:
Capstone Press, 1996.
Newspaper:
Dao, James. "War Plan Drew U.S. Commandos From
Shadows." New York Times(1857-Current file)
[New York, N.Y.] 28 Apr. 2003;A1. ProQuest
Historical Newspapers(1851-2003). ProQuest. 12
Sep.2006 [http://www.proquest.com/]
Scholarly Article:
Lieberman, Harris R., et al. "Effects of
caffeine, sleep loss, and stress on cognitive
performance and mood during U.S. Navy SEAL
training." Psychopharmacology 164.3(2002):250.
Academic Search Premier. 18 Sep. 2006
[http://search.ebscohost.com]
Website:
Navy SEALs. Naval Special Warfare Command. 17
Sep. 2006 [http://www.sealchallenge.navy.mil/seal/]

Ashley C.
English 202-23

Posted by: Ashley C. at September 18, 2006 05:40 PM

My research topic began as "Stem Cell Reseach and It's Beneficial Effect on People's Lives."

My classmate narrowed it down to Stem Cell Reseach and It's Beneficial Effect on People's Lives in 2006."

I have decided to narrow it down to stem cell research's place in regenerative medicine.

The following are my four research sources and their citations:

Book:
[U.S. Institute of Medicine. Essentials of Stem Cell Biology. National Academy P, 2002.]

Website:
[Berger, Eleni. "Research Avenue Adds Fuel to Stem Cell Controversy." CNN. 18 July 2001. 18 Sept. 2006 http://archives.cnn.com.]

Scholarly Article:
[Wainwright, Steven P., Clare Williams, Michael Mike, Bobbie Farsides, and Alan Cribb. "From Bench to Bedside? Biomedical Scientists’ Expectations of Stem Cell Science as a Future Therapy for Diabetes." Social Science & Medicine 63 (2006): 2052-2064. Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. 18 Sept. 2006.]

Newspaper:
[Benedetto, Richard, and Andrea Stone. "Bush Rejects Stem Cell Bill with His First Veto." USA Today 29 July 2006, Morning ed., sec. A: 4. Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. 18 Sept. 2006.]

Adam Vassallo
Section 27

Posted by: Adam V. at September 18, 2006 05:44 PM

My topic at first was stem cell research and its beneficial effect on people's lives.

My classmate revised it to stem cell research and its beneficial effect on people's lives in 2006. I didn't particularly like this topic. Therefore I narrowed it down to stem cell research's use in regenerative medicine.

The following are my four research sources:

Book:
[U.S. Institute of Medicine. Essentials of Stem Cell Biology. National Academy P, 2002]

Website:

Newspaper Article:

Scholarly Article:

Adam V.
Section 27

Posted by: Adam V. at September 18, 2006 05:57 PM

Hi Professor Hobbs!

I started last Thursday with: College Textbook prices can’t be Beat.
My partner came up with: Textbook Prices at IUP through the last 100 yrs.
I decided that it would be better to tackle: Why changing times has increased the cost of textbook prices throughout the U.S.

Have a good day!
CarrieB
Section 023

Newspaper:
Franklin, Jonathan. “The Cost of Being Book-Wise.” New York Times (1857-Current- File): EDUC7. ProQuest Historical Newspapers (1851-2003. 6 Nov.1988 .

Book:
United States Government. “Enhanced Offerings Appear to Drive Recent Price Increases.” Washington, D.C. :U.S. Government Accountability Office, 2005.

Scholarly Article:
Horvitz, Paul. “A Note on Textbook Pricing.” The American Economic Review. 2001. 844-848. .

Website:
Moore, Yalinda. “Textbook Pricing in Spotlight at Congressional Hearing.” CM Bulletin. 23 July, 2004. NACS Inc.org. NDN .

Posted by: Carrie Berkey at September 18, 2006 06:17 PM

My newly revised topic is "The recent problem of Childhood Obesity in Pittsburgh."

The topic I had before was "The effect products have on certain aspects of the environment." My classmate revised it by asking questions such as: "In the United States, are certain products damaging the health of citizens?" I decided to make it narrower by talking about a health environment in Pittsburgh and that’s how obesity in children came about.

Here are four sources (a newspaper article, a scholarly article, a book, and a website) that I will begin to look at for some exploratory research on my topic.

______

Srikameswaran, Anita. “Hundreds of Kids Encouraged to Lead Active Healthier Lives.”
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. 17 Sept, 2006: B1. NewsBank Inc. 18 Sept. 2006 [http://infoweb.newsbank.com].

“Obesity: Opposing Viewpoints.” Opposing Viewpoints Series. Thomson Gale, 2006.

Report #67 “Childhood Obesity: Trends and Causes” University of Pittsburgh Office of
Child Development. 18 Sept. 2006 [http://www.education.pitt.edu/ocd/family/backgrounders.asp].

“Childhood Obesity” American Obesity Association. 18 Sept. 2006
[http://www.obesity.org/subs/childhood].

Thanks,
Brian B.
Section 27

Posted by: Brian B. at September 18, 2006 07:18 PM

Undiagnosed learning disabilities can lead to delinquent behaviors. It is important to diagnose a learning disability so that the proper support can be given to help the person become successful.

Juvenile delinquency and undiagnosed learning disabilities in today’s society. Who has power to make a change to better this problem?

Levine, Mel. A Mind at a Time. Rockefeller Center: Simon and Schuster, 2002.

Zangis, Ins. Behavior Disorders. Council for Children with Behavioral Disorders, Aug

2002.

“Institute for Learning Abilities.” 18 Sept 2006: n.pag. On-line. Internet. Available

www:ila-learning-abilities.org
Marlene B Engl 202 sec 23

Posted by: Marlene B at September 18, 2006 07:33 PM

Dr. Hobbs,

I knew that i wanted to do something on Gay Culture initially. The question was, "what?" I was mainly focusing on general topics. For example, i wanted to write about the media, or perhaps gay rights, but then something came to mind. Ballinger suggested writing a paper about a particular person. There is only one man that came to mind, Harvey Milk.

My new Question is "Why was Harvey Milk assassinated, and what lasting effect has his death had on gay Culture?"

------ Sources ------
BOOK:

Shilts, Randy. The Mayor of Castro Street: the Life and Times of Harvey Milk. New York, NY: St. Martin's P, 1982.

NEWSPAPER:

Ledbetter, Les. "2 DEATHS MOURNED BY SAN FRANSICANS." New York Times 29 Nov. 1978, Late City ed., sec. A: 1+. New York Times Historical. 18 Sept. 2006 .

SCHOLARLY ARTICLE:

Thompson, Mark. "19 Years Ago: Harvey Milk's Assassination." Advocate 11 Nov. 1997: 10. Ebsco Host. Ebsco. 18 Sept. 2006 .

WEBSITE:

Cloud, John. "Harvey Milk." Time 100. 14 June 1999. 18 Sept. 2006 .

Matt R

Section 27

Posted by: Matthew R at September 18, 2006 07:56 PM

The following are my four research sources:

Book:

Website:

Newspaper Article:

Scholarly Article:

Adam V.
Section 27

Posted by: Adam V. at September 18, 2006 08:44 PM

My old topic was Eating disorders in Hollywood. Then a classmate revised it to Eating disorders in today’s Hollywood are giving teens in the U.S. a negative body image. I like how my classmate revised my topic but I changed a few words. My new and improve topic is Eating disorders in today’s Hollywood and the negative image that it creates in teens and young adults.

My four sources which I used were a newspaper article, book, scholarly journal, and website.

Bellafante, Ginia. “When Midlife Seems Just an Empty Plate.” New York Times. Proquest Historical Newspapers. 9 Mar 2003. 18 Sept 2006 [http://www.proquest.umi.com/pqdweb].

Berg, Francie M. “Afraid to eat: children and teens in weight crisis.” 2nd Ed. 1997. 18 Sept 2006 [http://www.pilot.passhe.edu].

Gibbons and Wertheim. June 1995 “Nutrient Intake of Adolencents and Its Relationships to Desire Thinness and Weight loss.” Austrialian Journal of Nutrition and Dietetics,
pp 69.

“Loving Your Body Inside and Out.” Women’s Health Feb 2006. The National Women’s Heath Information Center. 18 Sept 2006. [http://www.4woman.gov/bodyimage].

Whitney W.
Section 027

Posted by: Whitney W at September 18, 2006 08:53 PM

18 September 2006

My revised topic is going to be, deer populations and deer hunting in Pennsylvania. My original topic was how the hunting regulations in Pennsylvania are affecting the game populations. The topic that one of my fellow class mates suggested was how the hunting regulations in Pennsylvania have affected the deer populations in the last five years.

Rooney, T.P. “Deer impacts on Forest Ecosystems a North American Perspective.” 17 Sept. 2006 [http://www.botany.wisc.edu/waller/deer/FOR01.pdf]

“Deer Hunting in Pennsylvania-Opening of the season-Game plentiful in Pike County.” New York Times 4 Oct. 1880. Pro Quest Historical Data base 17. Sept. 2006 [http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=5&did=98632595&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1158623261&clientId=63512]

Phillips, John E. The Science of Deer Hunting. Larsen’s Outdoor Publishing, 1992

Deer Management Program. 19 June 2006, Pennsylvania Game Commission. 17 Sept. 2006 [http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=465&q=161556]

Matt G.
Section 23

Posted by: Matt G. at September 18, 2006 09:19 PM

Dr.Hobbs,

My topic started out as "gas prices." I figured this would be an interesting topic to study and that many people would be interested in.

I then narrowed my topic down further to "How do gas prices effect the average citizen in Indiana, PA?"

I think this will give my audience a good idea on how it is effecting people around. What is really happeneding?

I then found four sources that will help be develop my research further.

This will be a hard topic to find information for because the information must be very recent.

Healey, James R. "Gasoline Prices Could Keep Falling." USA Today 30 Aug. 2006, sec. Pg. 01a. Ebsco Host. Indiana, PA. 18 Sept. 2006. [http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail?vid=4&hid]

Jacobs, Phyllis G. "Decreasing Diesel Prices are a Welcome Relief to Freight Haulers." Wichita Eagle 14 Sept. 2006. Newspaper Source. Ebsco Host. 18 Sept. 2006.

Simmons, Matthew R. Twilight in the Desert : the Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World Economy. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2006. 18 Sept. 2006 [http://pilot.passhe.edu:8001/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi].

"Fueleconomy.Gov." 18 Sept. 2006. Government. 18 Sept. 2006 [http://www.fueleconomy.gov/].

-Chris Di Giacomo
Section 27

Posted by: Chris D at September 18, 2006 09:41 PM

Hi Professor Hobbs!

At first my topic was, Africa: people and their nutrition. After our class workshop a friend was able to open my mind to new ideas and help to narrow my topic. At first I was skeptical on her ideas and what I wanted to create of my topic. After brainstorming for a while her ideas led me to my new topic, Malnutrition in Mali, Africa.

The following four sources (book, scholarly paper, website and newspaper article) are what I am using in my exploratory research for my topic.

Dettwyler, Katherine A. “Dancing Skeletons: life and death in West Africa.” Prospect Heights, Ill.: Waveland, 1994.

Dettwyler, Katherine A. “Nutritional Status of Adults in Rural Mali.” American Journal of Physical Anthropology. 88.3 (January 1992): 309-321. Wiley InterScience. 17 Sept. 2006. [http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cig-bim/abstract/110486497/ABSTRACT]

“Crisis in Mali.” June 2005. 18 Sept. 2006. [http://actionagainsthunger.org]

“Living Costs Hit in South Africa.” New York Times. 13 Dec. 1936. E10. ProQuest Historical Newspapers. 18 Sept. 2006. [http://proquest.com]

Jennifer T.
ENGL 202 sec. 023

Posted by: Jennifer T. at September 18, 2006 09:53 PM

My original topic began as “Pediatric Nursing”. During our class workshop, one of my classmates revised my topic to, “What are the duties of a typical pediatric nurse?” I liked the direction that he went with this topic because I want to learn the basics of the position and what is expected of a pediatric nurse. I decided to revise my topic to: “What responsibilities have been established for a pediatric nurse in the United States over the last ten years?”

I have done some preliminary research and found different sources including a journal, newspaper, website and a book source. Below are the MLA citations for these sources.

BOOK
Brandt, Patricia, et al. Common Practice in Pediatric Nursing St Louis: Mosby, 1976.
JOURNAL
Taylor, Mark K., “Mapping the Literature of Pediatric Nursing.” Journal of Medicine Library Association Apr. 2006. v. 94: PubMed Central. 14 Sept. 2006 [www.pubmedcentral.gov]
WEBSITE
Pediatric Nursing. Johnson & Johnson Health Care Systems Inc. 18 Sept. 2006 [http://www.discovernursing.com/jnj-specialtyID_126-dsc-specialty_detail.aspx]
NEWSPAPER
Mulhern, Barbara. “Nursing Kids isn’t Child’s Play, Patients Today Need More Intensive Care.” The Capital Times 8 May 1989, All ed.: p. 19.

Alysha Goodlin
Sec 023

Posted by: AlyshaG at September 18, 2006 09:55 PM

Professor Hobbs

At first my topic was Landfills.

One of my classmates did not really narrow down my topic but did ask questions to time, place, person and story. For example they asked where did all the trash from hurricane Katrina go? The Indiana County Landfill. The men who operate landfills. How does trash go from one man's lunch to the landfill.

These were all good ideas but I'm going to stick to my topic, How Landfills Work.

Here are my four sources that I will begin to look at for my research project:

Newspaper
Cook, Doris. "Solid Waste Transfer Station Plan Gets Airing." Star Beacon. 8 Spet. 2006: A1. Local News. 12 Sept. 2006 [www.starbeacon.com]

Website
Freudenrich, Craig C. "How Landfills Work." How Stuff Works. 17 Sept. 2006 [http://people.howstuffworks.com/landfill.htm]

Scholarly Article
Wall, Dean K., and Chris Zeiss. "Municipal Lanfill Biodegradtion and Settlement." Journal of Environmental Engineering. 12.3 (March 1995):215-224. ASCE Research Library. 17 Sept. 2006 [http://ascelibrary.aip.org/eeo]

Book
McBean, Edward A., Frank A. Rovers, Grahame J. Farquhar. "Solid Waste Landfill Engineering and Design." New Jersey: Prentics Hall, 1995.

Ashley O.
Sec 023

Posted by: Ashley O. at September 18, 2006 10:49 PM

September 18 2006

My topic started out as escape from society. My partner didn't understand what my topic meant when we did our class activity. Here are some of the questions they asked: In what time period am I talking about people escaping from society? Is it escape from terrorism in America? Could I be escaping from a terroristic society? I didn't really like any of these ideas, but I did decide that I need to focus more on a cretin time period. I decided on the modern era from the 80's until now. Also after doing some research I've decided to base my topic on Transcendentalism. So my new topic is: Modern Transcendentalism. It will also compare today's to the original Transcendentalists of the past.

Here are my four sources:

Cain, T.G.S. Tolstoy. New York: Harper & Row Publishers Inc. Barnes & Noble Import Division, 1977.

The Transcendentalist. Emerson, Ralph Waldo. Sep. 18th 2006. Accessed Sep. 18th 2006. http://www.emersoncentral.com/transcendentalist.htm

Gronstad, Asbjorn. “Peckinpah's Walden: The Violent Indictment of "Civilization" in The Wild Bunch.” "From Virgin Land to Disney World: Nature and Its Discontents in the USA of Yesterday and Today" pp. 167-186(20) Ingenta. Accessed Sep. 18 2006

Thaw, Eugene Victor. “Art Under Late Capitalism.” New York Times 30 Sep 1984. ProQuest Historical Newspapers The New York Times. Retrieved 14 Sep 2006

Sam H.
Sec 023

Posted by: Sam H. at September 18, 2006 10:52 PM

My first topic was on advertising regulations. In class my peer narrowed it down to : The advertising regulations for 2005 in the Northeast United States for teenagers. I decided against this topic over the weekend and came up with The evolution of product placement. Here are a few sources that I found.

Campbell, Karlyn, Kathleen Jamieson. The Interplay of Influence. Thomson Wadsworth, Canada: 2006.

Janet, Maslin. Plugging Products in Movies as an Applied Art. The New York Times 15 Nov. 1982, Early ed., sec. C: 11. ProQuest Historical Newspapers. 18 Sept. 2006 {http://www.Proquest.umi.com}.

Lancaster, David. "Product Placement in Hollywood Films: a History. 2nd ed. Vol. 35. London, 2005. 18 Sept. 2006 {http://www/ebscohost.com}.

Scevak, Niki. The Evolution of Product Placement. Internetnews. 15 June 2001. 18 Sept. 2006 .

Katie Morgan
section 027

Posted by: Katie M. at September 18, 2006 11:01 PM

I first started out with the topic “Obesity”. This was a very broad topic with a lot of potential research on it. I than narrowed it down “Obesity Epidemic in the U.S.” This too was a little narrower but still broad. My classmate then suggested narrowing it down to a certain place in the U.S. I didn’t use this suggestion, but I did narrow it down further, finally to “The Obesity Epidemic Among the U.S. Children”. Here are four sources that I came up with to help further my research on this topic:

Dalton, Sharon. Our Overweight Children. Berkely and Las Angeles, California:
University of California Press, 2004.

Whitaker, Robert C., et al. "Predicting Obesity in Young Adulthood from
Childhood and Parental Obesity." The New England Journal of Medicine 25
Sept. 1997. 18 Sept. 2006 {http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/
337/13/869}.

American Obesity Association. 2 May 2005. American Obesity Association. 18 Sept. 2006 {http://www.obesity.org}.

"More Poor Teenagers Are Overweight, Study Shows." Wall Street Journal 24 May
2006, Eastern ed. ProQuest Newspapers. ProQuest Information and Learning.
12 Sept. 2006 {http://proquest.umi.com/login}.

Thanks,
Miki B.
Section 027

Posted by: Miki B at September 18, 2006 11:55 PM

My topic was, needless to say, a little vague; DRM and its effects on the consumer. The narrowed down ideas that were given to me by a classmate were very ineffective. I'm not quite sure that the person knew what exactly DRM was/is so it was hard to narrow down my original topic. I'm finding it a bit difficult to break this topic down. Narrowed down information seems to be very scarce. Most of the information I am finding is generalized to "how it affects consumers as a whole".

I've found a good bit of information on my topic and, after doing some exploratory research, I found the following sources.
-----
Cox, I. J., Miller Matthew L., and Bloom Jeffrey A. Digital Watermarking. San Diego, CA: Elsevier, 2002.

Felten, Edward W. "DRM and Public Policy." Communications of the ACM 48.7 July 2005 p112-112. 16 Sep 2006
[http://navigator-iup.passhe.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=17622111&site=ehost-live].

Lohmann, Fred von. "Fair Use and DRM". Electronic Frontier Foundation. 9/16/06 [http://www.eff.org/IP/DRM/fair_use_and_drm.html].

Taub, Eric. "Encryption Schemes Aimed at Film Piracy." New York Times 30 Aug. 2001; G6. ProQuest Historical Newspapers (1851-2003). 12 Sept. 2006
[http://proquest.umi.edu/pqdweb].

Matthew K.
ENGL202-023

Posted by: Mattew K. at September 19, 2006 12:15 AM

My research topic started out as “How illegal immigration affects US citizens and what can the government do about it?”
One of my classmates narrowed it down to “How does illegal immigration from the middle east affect New York in the 21st century?” I didn’t like the topic so I narrowed it down to “How does illegal immigration affect the US government?”

Here are my four sources (a website, newspaper article, book, and scholarly article) that I will begin to look at for some exploratory research. This will help guide me to either better research resources or to a solid research question.

Website:
Krikorian, Mark. "Lured by Jobs, Illegal Immigrants." Center for Immigration Studies. 25 Apr. 1999. Santa Barbara News-Press. 18 Sept. 2006 [http://cis.org/articles/1999/msk4-25-99.html].
Newspaper:
Golden, Tim. “California Governor Acts to End State Aid for Illegal Immigrants.” New York Times 28 August 1996: ProQuest Historical Newspaper (1851-2003) 18 Sept. 2006 [http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb].

Book:
Masud-Piloto, Felix Roberto. From Welcomed Exiles to Illegal Immigrants. Lanham: Rowan and Littlefield, 1996.

Scholarly Journal:
Ethier, Wilfred J. "Illegal Immigration: the Host-Country Problem." American Economic Review (1986). 18 Sept. 2006 [http://scholar.google.com/].

Jake Madison
Section 027

Posted by: Jake M at September 19, 2006 12:18 AM

When I first started this project, I wanted to write about hurricanes and tsunamis because they are something that I hear a lot about and something that I am interested in learning more about. In class, Chris semi-narrowed my topic down to a couple topics such as “Where were the worst or most devastating hurricanes or tsunamis?” and also “What are the affects if these tragedies?” I want to talk about what causes hurricanes and tsunamis, the aftermath of the event and what it takes to recover from this disaster. Something along the lines of Tsunamis and Hurricanes: the Cause, Effect, and Aftermath.

Here are four sources that I will be looking at for my exploratory research and they include a newspaper article, book, scholarly article, and a website. Hopefully this will guide me better research and help me narrow my topic down even more and give me a reach towards a more solid research question and my proposal.

Heilbrunn, Jacob. “Aftershock.” New York Times on the Web 17 Sept. 2006. 18 Sept.
2006 [http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/17/books/review/Heilbrunn.t.html].

The Hurricane of ’38. Pro. Michael Epstein and Thomas Lennon. Videocassette. PBS
Video, 1993

“Killer Tsunamis in the Pacific.” The Why Files. 30 July 1998. 18 Sept. 2006
[http://whyfiles.org/068tsunami/]

Tannehill, Ivan Ray. Hurricanes. 2nd ed. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1942

Bender, Morris A. and Ginis, Isaac. “Real-Case Simulations of Hurricane–Ocean
Interaction Using A High-Resolution Coupled Model: Effects on Hurricane
Intensity” AMS Journals Online Apr. 2000. 18 Sept. 2006 [http://ams.allenpress. com/perlserv/? request=get-abstract&issn=1520-0493&volume=128&issue=4&page=917].

Thanks
Valerie W.
Section 202 023

Posted by: Valerie W. at September 19, 2006 12:29 AM

My research topic stared as “Success of Fashion.”

One of my classmates suggested that change my topic to “Gay Men and the Success of Fashion in America.” I do not like this change. I decided to narrow my topic down to a specific store’s success. I am going to use Victoria’s Secret. My new topic will be “Victoria’s Secret’s Secret to Success.”

Listed below are four of my sources (a newspaper article, a scholarly article, a book and a website) which I will be using in my research paper.

Barron, James. “Cue the Models! A Day of Hype By the Truckload.” New York Times 14 Apr. 2000, pg B3. ProQuest Historical Newspapers (1851-current files). 13 Sept. 2006 [http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb].

Cobb, Chris. “Victoria’s Not so Little Secret.” Public Relations Tactics, Apr 1999, Vol. 6, Issue 4. p1 , p2. Business Source Premier [http://web.ebscohost.com/].

Kurtzman, Joel. & Rifkin, Glenn (2001). Radical E: From GE to Enron -- lessons On How to Rule the Web. New York: Willey & Sons, Inc.

The Official Site of Victoria’s Secret (http://www.victoriasssecret.com/).

Bethany P.
Section 23

Posted by: Bethany at September 19, 2006 01:11 AM

My original topic was "America's health."

A classmate narrowed the topic down to, "Did the establishment of fast food restaurants make P.A. unhealthy."

I choose to narrow my topic down to "How important is exercise and nutrition in American youth's health."

These are the four sources I found.

----------
Dart, Bob. "Youth Obesity Numbers Keep Growing." Philadelphia Inquirer 14 Sept. 2006. 19 Sept. 2006 .

Mayo Clinic. Mayo Foundation. 19 Sept. 2006 .

Pate, R R. Physical Activity and Public Health. A Recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American College of Sports Medicine. Department of Exercise Science, University of South Carolina School of Public Health. 18 Sept. 2006 .

Schlosser, Eric. Fast Food Nation. Houghton Mifflin, 2001.

Bryan M.
023

Posted by: Bryan M at September 19, 2006 01:49 AM

My topic first began as drugs. After various class activities, I decided narrowed my topic to drug use in the past, present and future. When looking at my new topic I realized that it was still extremely broad. We then did the class exercise where classmates tried to narrow down our topic for us. A classmate suggested that I write about my personal experience with drugs. It was a long internal battle to decide if that is what I really wanted to share with the class, but I knew that it made my topic very specific. So after lots of thinking, my new and final topic is my personal experience with drug use.

Here are four sources (a newspaper article, a scholarly article, a book and a website) that I used for exploratory research. Though I know that a lot of my essay will from personal experience, these sources will help me in getting all the facts.

Newspaper Article:

Price, Joyce. “Baby Boomers' Drug Use Up.” The Washington Times 8 Sept. 2006, morning ed.: A2+.

Scholarly Article:

Warner, Lance. “Prevalence and correlates of drug use and dependence in the United States. Results from the National Comorbidity Survey.” Archives of General Psychiatry Volume 52, Number 3 (Spring 1995): 967-972.

Book:

The Truth About Pot: 10 Marijuana Users Share Their Personal Stories. Hazelden, October 1996.

Website:

Feig, Christy. “Illegal Drug Use Rising Among Young.” CNN Online 16 Sept. 2002. [http://archives.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/parenting/09/05/drug.use.survey/]

Posted by: Britain.M at September 19, 2006 08:23 AM

Professor Hobbs

My research paper is focused around plastic surgery and my partner chose the topic, “Women of America in 2006 who use plastic surgery.” I like her topic but it’s not exactly what I’m looking for, I want to have my paper centered around if plastic surgery is morally right and have is about a certain group, so I changed it to, “The effects that plastic surgery has had on teenage to twenty year old girls since 1980 in the U.S.”

FOUR SOURCES

1. Book source

Blum, Virginia. Flesh Wounds: The Culture of Cosmetic Surgery. California: Berkley,
2003.

2. Scholarly paper source

Sarwer, David B. Ph.D.; Wadden, Thomas A. Ph.D., and Pertschuk, Michael J. M.D.
“Body Image Dissatisfaction and Body Dysmorphic Disorder in 100 Cosmetic Surgery Patients.” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 6 (1998) : 1644-1649.

3. Website source

Dittmann, Melissa. “Plastic Surgery: Beauty or Beast?” 8 September 2005
[http://www.apa.org/monitor/sep05/surgery.html]

4. Newspaper source

Mower, Robin. “Letters: Plastic Surgery.” New York Times 20 Jul 1998: C18. ProQuest
Historical Newspapers (1851-2003). 12 Sept. 2006 [http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb].

Thanks
Jackie D.
Eng 202-027

Posted by: Jackie DePietro at September 19, 2006 08:26 AM

My research project started out as sibling rivalry between genders. In the class exercise Brian Binotto narrowed my topic down to sibling rivalry between genders in the 21st century in America for teenagers. I didn’t care too much for this idea, but it showed me that I could narrow my topic down more. Then in the class discussion someone had mentioned maybe doing it on adult sibling rivalry in the 21st century in America. I took more interest in this topic, so much so that at first I decided that I wanted my new topic to be adult sibling rivalry between genders in eastern America in the 21st century. Unfortunately though after starting my research I found that I had narrowed the topic down to much, I could not find any research on this topic. This caused me to have to broaden my topic. My final research topic is adult sibling rivalry in America from 1970 to present day.

After broadening my topic I was able to find my four sources (a book, a scholarly paper, an acceptable website and a newspaper). These four sources are listed below.

Lamb, Michael E., Brain Sutton-Smith ed. Sibling Relationships: Their Nature and Significance Across the Lifespan. Hillsdale, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1982.

Stocker, Clare M., Wyndol Furman, Richard Lanthier. “Sibling Relationships in Early Adulthood.” Journal of Family Psychology 11 (1997): 210-221, 12p 3 charts.

Soble, Dava. “Studies Find Rivalry, Dependency Revive in Adulthood.” New York Times 28 Oct. 1980, late ed.: C1 [http://web.lexis-nexis.com].

ForeverFamilies.com. Boyle, Jerermy. 15 Sep. 2006 [http://www.foreverfamilies.net/xml/articles/sibling_rivalry_adult.aspx]

Thanks you
Michelle W
Section 027

Posted by: Michelle W at September 19, 2006 08:39 AM

Professor Hobbs

My topic originally was "The Punk Rock Movement in America."

One of my classmates Narrowed it down to, "The Punk Rock movement Prior to the Avril Movement."

I didn't like this version so much so I came up with a new one: "The Original Punk Rock Movement of the Early 70's in America"

Below are my 4 sources I found for my new topic.

-----

Book: D'ambrosio, Antonino. Let Fury Have the Hour the Punk Rock Politics of Joe Strummer. New York: Nation Books, 2004.

Newspaper: Charles, Eleanor. "Charting Fashion Trends." New York Times 21 Dec 2003, ProQuest Historical Newspapers 12 sept 2006 [http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb]

Article: Gottlieb, Joanne, and Gayle Wald. "Smells Like Teen Spirit: Riot Grrls, Revolution and Women in Independent Rock." Youth and Music Culture os (1994): 1-23.

Website: Johnston, Hank, and Shoon Lio. "Collective Behavior and Social Movements in the Postmodern Age: Looking Backward to Look Forward." JSTOR. Fall 1998. University of California Press. 18 Sept. 2006 [http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0731-1214(1998)41%3A3%3C453%3AICBASM%3E2.0.CO%3B2-Z]

----

Thanks!
Mike A.
Eng202-027

Posted by: ace at September 19, 2006 08:47 AM

At first I was going to do my topic on “African American Women who paved the way for Us.” Then Jackie, one of my classmates from a workshop narrowed it down to, “African American Women Who Changed History in the United States since the 1940’s.” I liked Jackie’s title better so I decided to change my title to it.

Here are four sources (a newspaper article, book, website and scholarly article…not in that order) that I will begin to look at for some exploratory research. This will help guide me to either better research sources or to a solid research question and proposal.

Dates, Jannette L. “Black Women Decisionmakers in Entertainment Television.” Journal of Popular Film & Television, (Summer2005), Vol. 33 Issue 2, p68-79, 12p, 2 charts;

Redfern, Bernice. Women of Color in the United States. New York: Garland, 1989.

“50 Most Important Women in the last 50 years-influential black women.” Ebony
Magazine Mar 1995.

Gale Research Inc. “UGA African American Studies.” African Americans in History 1992. ">http://www.uga.edu/iaas/History.html>

Posted by: Laurisa Jackson at September 19, 2006 09:34 AM

At first my topic started out as the History of the NHL. I found this to be way to broad and eventually narrowed it down to how salary caps and new apparel have changed the NHL. After our in-class assignment I was able to narrow it down even more to how salary caps and new apparel have changed the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Here are four resources ( a newspaper article, a book, a website, and a scholarly article) that I used to begin doing some exploratory research.
-----

Barra, Allen. “By the Numbers: Reality Check for the NHL.” Wall Street Journal
1 Mar. 2002, eastern edition. W.7

Klien, Jeff. The Flightless Birds. Chelsea House Publishers, 1995.

NHL. The Official Website of the Pittsburgh Penguins. NHL. 19 Sept. 2006
{www.pittsburghpenguins.com}

Van Der Hilst, Alan. “The Use of Public Funds for Stadium Construction: Is it Welfare Improving?” Students.Washington.Edu (2006) {http://scholar.google.com/ scholar?q=Pittsburgh+Penguins}

Thanks,
Nathan L.
Sections 27

Posted by: Nathan L. at September 19, 2006 02:04 PM

My topic for my research project is, “The affects of divorce on Children.” The research question I used for my research topic was, “How does divorce change people and their lives?” My main goal for my research paper is to give an answer to this topic. I will be able to find my information from my own and other people’s real life experiences.

Nick Logue
English 202-027

Posted by: Nick L at September 20, 2006 11:05 AM

My topic began as a very broad Heroin paper. I had so many questions and so
much information that I wanted to distribute thru my paper; however, the
idea was just too broad and would have left me lost while researching. I
then considered the idea that was given to me in class about "What are the
moral effects of heroin use on addicts and their families in the United
States?"and then I thought I figured out my strategy. But, it was still too broad. So, I think I have gotten myself a topic that should give me the leeway I need. My topic is now “The mental effects of heroin addiction of families in PA.”

The book I look at for information is:

Carnwath, Tom and Ian Smith. Heroin Century. London and New York:
Routledge, 2002

The scholarly journal/ article I used is:

Alexander, Bruce K., Gary S. Dibb. Opiate Addicts and Their Parents.
Family Process 14(1975): 499-514

The web-site I used is:

Brooks, Anthony. Heroin in America. NPR. 16, Sept. 2006
[http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1688762]

The news paper article I used is:
Kaufman, Leslie. "Weighing Parent Rights and Child Safety." New York Times
27 Sept. 2003: B3. ProQuest Historical Newspapers (1851-2003). 13 Sept.
2006 [http://www.proquest.umi.com/pqdweb.]

Amber K.
English 202
section 023

Posted by: Amber K. at September 20, 2006 05:21 PM

*NOTE* Deadline for this assignment has passed. Comments are no longer being accepted for this exercise.

Posted by: Lee at September 20, 2006 11:18 PM